chapter fourteen | the one with the third degree

C H A P T E R F O U R T E E N

the one with
the third degree

the one withthe third degree

It was the fifth day of Hell Week, and Danielle was close to imploding. All her energy was pent up in a giant ball ready to blow her entire system to shreds Chloe would gladly throw around like confetti. Veronica, however, had one last exam tomorrow, and she broke the pact by staying at home without Chloe's knowledge.

The moment the latter came back, her eyes bulged at the sight of Veronica sitting on the couch, putting nail polish.

"What on earth are you doing?"

Veronica looked up at her, ushering at the laptop before her. "What does it look like I'm doing?"

Veronica had only one main task to complete for today: Damage control.

She spent her entire day taking care of the alarming situation that was her looks. She took a long, deserved bath, shaved everywhere, plucked her eyebrows, and even did a facial. By the end of the evening, she sat down with her curls still wet, wearing shorts to admire her smooth skin (1) and skimming the slides while putting on nail polish.

Chloe looked at her cousin in disbelief, "Care to explain?"

Veronica bit her tongue in concentration as she traced her nail, the nude color barely doing any effect, but it was for the sake of her mental health.

"Yes, of course." She opened her mouth to recite what she had practiced all day for this moment. "I have a general idea of the material, the exam is multiple-choice, and I have already taken two courses with this professor-"

Veronica and Chloe shot their head to the door as it burst open. Ethan peeked inside, Chloe's eyes were wide and tongue ready to scold.

"Hey, can we use your TV?" He was already inside, reaching for the remote that was next to Veronica's nail polish that he didn't even notice.

"What the Hell, Ethan?" Chloe shrilled.

Allen stepped in after him, looking at Chloe apologetically. "Sorry about that..." He trailed. The sight of him made Chloe's irritation grow.

"What about Allen's place?" Chloe questioned, voice pitched in annoyance. Ethan continued scrolling through the channels hurriedly, completely blocking her out.

"I'm taping BBC Earth..."

Veronica blinked, neck almost cramping at the rush she twisted her head to look at him with. "What's on BBC Earth?"

"Dynasties."

Veronica's jaw hung as she made room for him. "Really?"

Allen plopped on the couch beside her, offering a broad smile. "Wanna watch it when you're done with finals?"