chapter twenty-one | the one with the blizzard

C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - O N E

the one with
the blizzard: christmas flashback pt.3

        January 1, 2016        12:05 AM

January 1, 2016
12:05 AM

It was minutes after the countdown and Veronica rushed outside the house with their dog, Wayne, close to her.

Fireworks exploded in the sky, and she ducked, her hands clasped on her ears while Wayne's tail was tucked between its legs.

The moment she shut the door Wayne hid in the corner with its head resting on the wall.

"You poor baby..." Veronica mumbled and caressed its back.

"Is it the fireworks?"

She shot her head up, only to find Allen sitting on one of the wicker chairs. She didn't realize he was sitting out on the porch. She expected him to be out in the backyard with the rest of her family getting excited over fireworks bursting in the sky.

"Yup." She stood straighter, pushing her hair out of her face, looking at his lying frame and meeting his droopy eyes. "It scares the living Hell out of both of us." She ushered at Wayne. "So, until they're done firing shit up the sky, we're avoiding the danger zone."

Allen quietly laughed and she crouched down to pet Wayne, smiling down at his puppy eyes. "How come you're here?" She asked absently.

"I drank a little too much and am trying to sober up before I barf on any furniture." She turned and he ushered at the water bottle in his hands. She smiled and stood, her nerves easing when the sound of crackling vanished. The peaceful sound of waves crashing on the shore filled the silence between them and created an atmosphere of tranquility as they sat under the crescent moon and shining stars.

"Aren't you cold out here?" She asked and took a seat on the chair next to his. He shrugged.

"It's nice."

She studied him carefully when he rested his head back and closed his eyes. Nothing could ever outshine his outer beauty more than his inner one. It was shocking to her just how warm he could be yet so intimidating.

He caught her looking right before she was about to turn, and she froze under the intensity of his stare.

He gave her a gentle smile that made her heart flutter and her mouth run with words to fill the silence because that was what she knew how to do best. Run.

Little did she know that no matter how fast she ran, in only a few more minutes her insides were going to inevitably combust and blaze the velvet darkness of the sky right before his eyes.