Chapter 4

I can't breathe. Oh god, I can't breathe. The guy gets off of me and I see it's one of the scavengers we beat the other day. He smiles and drags me outside by my hair. I still can't breathe and I'm starting to see stars with the edges of my vision blacking. I can't break free from his grip and this time there is no Macy to help, she left town. For once I really was on my own and I start to panic. 

        I try to kick him with all my might, but I don't even land a blow. I can barely see now. He let’s go of my hair and I try to suck in air, but it's not working, I can't breathe. I must have screamed because he's kicking my face and telling me to shut up. Then I remember, I had my pistol with me earlier. I quickly reach behind me, but that's when I remember I removed it because of training and then I remember I'm not alone there is Dylan out there somewhere. I just hope he heard my scream. 

The scavenger keeps kicking me, but I don't feel anything besides this gaping wound in my chest, making me not able to breath. I have lost all sight. Then the kicking stops and I think it’s Dylan here to help me, but no, I hear no fighting and I can still smell the scavenger. I try to scramble to my feet and am kicked in my chest again. I collapse, I have no strength left to fight him off of me. I can't breathe at all anymore and if I can't breathe I can't live, so I give up.

"At least I will see my family," I somehow croak out. 

"Please, not today! Alex come back to me!" 

It almost sounded like Dylan, funny right? I don't know why, but I burst out laughing and then I realize am able to breathe again. I suck in as much air as I can get into me. Then a sharp pain ropes across my body and I scream because he's still attacking me, still kicking me, it wasn't Dylan at all. My mind made it up to force me to live, when all I wanted was to die, to join my family. 

"Let me go! Let me join my family! Just let me go!" I scream and kick at the scavenger before my body gives up and I collapse into blackness.

--------

        I’m standing in a forest and I blink several times to try and figure out how I got here. The last thing I remember was I was being attacked by the scavenger. It's completely silent as I start to wander around. I start to hear some noise and it's growing louder as I walk. I realize the noise is water to my right, so I slowly walk over towards it. I see my family standing next to the lake as I approach. My mother is holding out a hand to me while her other hand is in my little brother’s hand. He smiles up at me as I walk closer. 

“Hello Alex, It’s been a long time,” he says smiling.

I crouch in front of him and smile as tears prick my eyes, “Yes it has.”

“We’re glad you came to see us,” my mother says.

        I stand and look at her. She’s wearing the same black dress we buried her in. Her brown hair looks more alive than I have ever seen it. Her green eyes sparkle at me as she waits for me to reply. I smile at her and step forward to give her a hug. “I missed you so much, mom.”

“I missed you, too,” she whispers in my ear.

        I pull away and pick up my brother. He hugs me and I ruffle his blonde hair. His blue eyes sparkle at me and he messes with his blue bow-tie like he used to. I laugh at him. He’s wearing beige shorts and a plain black shirt. My eyes scan over him as I look for any cuts or bruises, but I don't find any. 

“Why can’t you stay with us?” He asks earnestly looking up into my face.

“I thought I was,” I reply looking at my mom. 

“It’s not her time yet, George.”

“What do you mean it’s not my time? I don’t want to leave you again, I won’t,” I say sternly. My mom laughs lightly and pats my back.