Chapter 15

Deraci walks over to Mr. Dry. I sigh and set the weights down. I head back over to the weight area and grab a few more to add to the pile. I lean against the wall and wait for Deraci. I don't know why I'm waiting, I should just leave now. 

        He pulls Dry away from the small student and she looks like she's have trouble. I push off from the wall after a minute and make my way over to her. Not only is she small, but she looks really young. She is wearing a blue tank top and black athletic shorts with her hair in two braids. She stares at me for a second before nodding at me and continues. I watch her for a second until I see her problem. 

"Wait, your stance is all wrong. It should be like this," I say showing her. She nods and fixes her stance before trying again. 

"Thank you," she says offering a small smile. "This is my first time training."

"How old are you?"

"Ten, my dad wanted me to start early," she says sheepishly. I resist a frown, she shouldn't have to start training yet or anytime soon. 

"Well don't worry about it, you'll have plenty of time to fix any small issues you're having. Good luck with your training," I say when I notice Deraci is done talking to Mr. Dry. 

"Thanks," she says returning to the punching bag. I smile at her before returning to the weights. Deraci is starting to pick them up when I approach. I grab the last two and hold open the door for him. 

"Where in the forest are you going?" He asks. 

"Just inside the area across from the dorms." 

"Why inside the forest?" 

"I don't know. I guess because it's nicer out here than in there." 

"Yeah," he mutters trailing off. I look around as he grows silent, not wanting to continue talking.

"Have you thought about being a training teacher?" He asks after awhile. 

"No, I still have a long time before that. Anything can happen before then," I never want to have to train their soldiers. I don't think I would be able to stand that. 

"I guess so. Do you think..." He trails off. 

I glance at him after a minute. "What?"

"Nothing, we're almost there." 

        I look ahead to see the forest approaching. He stays silent the rest of the way and I make no move to break it. Dylan is already there when we walk up. He's leaning against a tree and is watching us approach. He tenses as we get closer and he keeps looking at Deraci wearily. I guess he hasn't forgiven him. 

"Hey," he says coming up to me. 

"Hey," I reply and hand him the weights. I turn to face Deraci and offer him a weak smile."Thanks for your help," I say grabbing the weights out of his arms. 

"No problem, just keep it in mind. They could always use someone like you." 

"I will," I lie before turning and heading deeper into the forest. I set the weights down next to the weights Dylan put down. 

"What was that about?" Dylan asks leaning against a tree again. 

"Nothing you need to worry about," I say moving to stand in front of him. I wrap my arms around him and lay my head on his chest. His arms automatically wrap around me. I hear his heart beat start to pick up and smile. I hold on for one more second before pulling away. "Ok, time to get busy." 

"What are we doing?"

"The question is, what are you doing?" I say turning to look at him. I start stretching and I hear Dylan doing the same. We run four laps around the compound before coming back. I arrange the weights accordingly.