Chapter 8

The town is north from here, so I start my run to the town. I don't realize how far away they dropped me off until the sun starts to come down and there is still no town in sight. I check the compass and see I was heading the correct direction, no need to worry there. I head off the trail for a while through the forest, before climbing a nearby tree for the night. 

        Once I've sat down I look around and see a dot of light on the horizon. It must be Seed. I check the pack they gave me and find civilian clothes, crackers, a knife, a pistol with ammo, and a water bottle. I pull out the crackers and munch on them as I listen to the forest come alive. I look down and see two beady eyes looking back. 

        I almost fall out of the tree, I look back down and once my eyes adjust I see a small fox. I slowly pull out the knife and throw half a cracker down to him. Once he's focused on the cracker I throw the knife as hard as I can down at him. He stumbles a few feet before collapsing. I jump down and grab some nearby branches to start a small fire. Once I have him cooking, I check the compass again and listen for anymore predators. I cover the fire and climb the tree again, when the fox is done cooking. I pull off some meat and eat a small snack. 

        Once I'm a little full, I put the rest of the fox in my bag. I look up to the stars wondering how my friends are at the Center. I pull on the second shirt to keep me warm, I shouldn't be thinking of them. I will get distracted, besides the quicker I get done here, the quicker I can return. I fall asleep awhile later thinking about Dylan. 

        I wake with the sun rising and quickly climb down and change into the civilian clothes, before heading out. I run until I finally make it into the town. I'm covered in sweat and tired by the time I finally arrive. From the way I see this town, it's just like those old fashion towns. People walking around, chatting, and heading into shops together. This town has few abandoned builds, unlike any the towns I've been in before. This town is alive and it's something new. I look down the street and see a diner. I walk in and take a seat in the corner. A waitress, I assume, come to take my order. 

"Can I just have a glass of water and a small milkshake?" I ask. 

        I was given very little money, but I could really use something cold right now. She goes off to get me my water and milkshake. I look around at the people here and everyone is glancing my way. Everyone probably knows everyone in this town, that's how it used to be in small towns. I don't recognize anyone, so I just look out the window in search of Bob. 

        Eventually, the waitress comes back with my order and I pay. As I sip my water I look back around the room. It looks to be a pair of farmers, some average looking men, and one important looking person in an old business suit. They all keep glancing over at me, so I keep my eyes out the window. No need to call more attention to myself. 

        What surprises me is that some towns still use money. There really isn't any use for money anymore. I would think that trading would be more prosperous. You could get the stuff you need, instead of paper that won't do you much good. I guess some people are just hoping to get back to the way things were, but I really doubt that will ever happen. 

        Once my water is done, I move on to the milkshake. I've never had one, but my mom used to say they were the best dessert you could get. She was right, I almost ask for a second one before I remember I don't have much money. I sigh and look out the window for a building that doesn't look in use. 

        My eyes land on a crumbling warehouse down the street. I get up and leave the diner. I decide to check out the other stores, maybe I might find something I need or someone. The first store I enter has anything I might want, but everything is too expensive. I look around anyways. I find a nice knife set, it has a rose design in the handle. I'm tempted to buy it until I see the cost, I quickly put it down and continue around the store.