Chapter 6

He points to us both and I walk forward. I haven't fought anyone since I was still free and that feels like ages ago. I smile to myself, the perfect opponent. Mr. Dry reminds us of the rules and we shake hands and walk to the mat. All I have to do is think about all the pain John has caused me and a bright fire burns through me, I'm ready. I turn and face him, he must see all my anger in my eyes because he, all of a sudden, looks shocked. 

        Dry rings the bell and we're off. John comes at me first and all my training kicks in, I will win this. He swings at me and I duck and hit him in the ribs. The air is knocked out of him for a second, before rage appears in his eyes. He charges me and I can't move out of the way in time and soon he's on top of me and is hitting me. I have my arms up, protecting me from most of his blows, but he lands a few. I pull my arm out enough to hit the side of his face and it knocks him off of me. I jump up and get ready to land another blow. 

        He swings, I duck and sweep his feet out from under him. He's up in a second and the next thing I know, he's on top of me again. He jambs his elbow into my rib cage and all I can remember is that death calling emptiness. I can't breathe again, oh god not again. I try to bring in a breath, but nothing will come. I must sound like a fish out of water. My vision is fading. I look past John towards Mr. Dry and see Deraci smiling down at me. 

        Out of nowhere, I have brand new and furious energy and I can breathe! I start to laugh and John stops hitting me for a second, but that's all I need. I'm standing once again staring down at John and all I see is Deraci's smiling face. I start to kick him in the ribs. After the second blow, he grabs my foot before it makes contact and pulls me down. I try to roll out of his foot's path, but the blow lands on my shoulder. 

        I scream, but jump up and start hitting him like Macy showed. Those months of practicing, kicking in. He won't fall and it makes me angrier. I start getting kicks in at him. Finally, after several long minutes he drops and doesn't move. I stop advancing and walk to the edge of the circle. I turn around and look at him with disgust as I think about the scavenger's attacks and my inability to breathe then similar to this time. 

        Mr. Dry must have dismissed us because people are walking away. I head to the shower to quickly clean before going and seeing Dylan. Once my adrenaline is gone, I realize he possibly broke my collarbone. It hurts too much to lift anything and I can't move it without a sharp pain. I dress as quickly and carefully as I can, in a clean tank top and jeans. I grab my stuff and leave the locker room. I quickly exit the training facility and start to run to the hospital. 

"Off in a hurry, Alex?" I stop and turn around to see Deraci leaning against the building. 

"A little bit, why? What's it to ya?" I ask crossing my arms. It hurts, a lot and I wince in pain. I take one small step towards him that's as close as I was planning to get. My shoulder must be starting to bruise by now.

"You did well in there. I haven't seen some of those moves in many generations. Who taught you?" He steps away from the wall and starts towards me. I take a step back. I won’t back down from him, not after what he did to Dylan.  Rage flickers behind my eyes and I’m positive he can see it.

"It doesn't matter if I was trained or not trained," I snap at him. 

"Mr. Dry says you told him you picked it up out there. Is it true?"

He keeps approaching me and I take a small step back. A quick smile flashes across his face before he can hide it.  

"Of course it is I wouldn't lie to a teacher." I turn to leave, but he grabs my injured collarbone, I cry out in pain.