Chapter 11

The rest of the week, Dylan acts as if he didn't tell me what happened to him. I let it go, knowing pushing him won't get me anywhere. The time started passing quicker and soon there was the first snowfall. Mel continued to learn and I continued to teach her until she was caught up with the class. Mel was never given another schedule, so she stayed in my classes. 

        I was waiting for her on a bench outside near the cafeteria. We were supposed to go shopping for the first dance they have done here in years. Mel was really excited, but to me it was just another thing to keep us distracted. They have been doing all kinds of stuff to distract the students lately. I have a feeling it has something to do with the Box. I haven't see Deraci around as much as I used too, so I know he's tied up with the Box. I still have no clue what it is and why they want it. 

The cold started to set into my bones by the time Mel showed up. 

"Sorry, was stopped by some kid," she says. I stood and we started for the stores. Most people either have shopping bags or were heading to the stores. I wasn't too thrilled about buying a dress, but Mel really wanted me to come. I would rather spend the night in my room, but then they had to go and make it mandatory. 

        When we get to the store, there is a line out the door. The store looks packed, but every few minutes a group of friends emerge with their bags. Which makes sense because this is the only clothing store for girls. We have to wait at the back of the line and it continues to move slowly forward and after entering the store Mel drags me around and throws dresses into my arms. 

"We should grab as many dresses that interest us and then just go and try them on," she says setting another dress onto my arms. She doesn't give me time to respond before disappearing again. 

        I point out a few that look nice and she adds them to the pile. My arms are aching from holding the dresses for so long. Finally after one more dress, Mel pulls me to the dressing room. She tries on dress after dress and asks my opinion. Most look good on her, but she insists that it isn't "the dress." 

        Finally, on her last dress, she declares that it's "the dress." It's a mint green strapless dress. It goes to right above her knees and the color matches her eyes almost perfectly. She goes back to change while I return the other dresses. I have to push my way through. Mel finds me returning the last dress. 

"Ready?" I ask her hoping to leave. 

"What do you mean? We have to get you a dress, too," she says grabing my arm. 

        I groan and a few heads turn and look at us. She pushes me off to search for a dress while she looks on the other side. I pull out a few just so it looks like I care. I glance towards Mel and do a double take. Right next to her is a beautiful dress. I push my way past people to get to it. They have only one in my size. I grab it and continue looking until Mel pulls me back to the changing room. 

        I get shoved into one of the stalls and handed Mel's selection. I try her's on first, but I don't like them. Most don’t even fit me right. I try on the dress that had caught my attention. It fits perfectly and it stops mid-thigh. The dress has a flowing skirt. It fades from bright green to dark blue. It's strapless, but that doesn't bother me much. I go out to show Mel and her jaw drops. 

"Get it," she orders standing. I open my mouth to say something, but she shoves me back into the stall. 

        I hand her the other dresses. Once I've changed we head to get shoes because Mel says it’s unacceptable to wear tennis shoes to any dance. She pulls out heels that make her four inches taller. I get handed another pair of black heels that only makes me two inches taller.