one

chapter one: damn the gods《

A LAUGH bubbled out of jimin's mouth, all bright and warm, his eyes turning into crescent moons. it was endearing, how easily this man could laugh at any story that had the slightest bit of humor. he didn't need to be drunk in order to do this. he held his only glass of beer, not the slightest bit buzzed. it amused him greatly, how jaebum's face was glowing red from the alcohol. yet despite their varying stages of drunkenness, the two of them conversed casually, waiting for taehyung, the host of the part to appear. 

jimin's fingers tapped against his cup, excitement filling him up from head to toe. he wanted to tell taehyung so much, about everything he saw overseas. the things he experienced and the people he met. it's been nearly a year since he left and he wanted to catch up, more than ever now, since he learned that taehyung had recently found someone new. he hoped it was taehyung's soulmate, that would be so wonderful. 

"damn, even when he's the host of the party. taehyung never fails to be late." jaebum chuckled, taking a small sip from his cup. "i'm sure you've been dying to meet up with him."

"not really... well yes i am." a sheepish grin appeared on jimin's lips. "he's probably busy making out with his new found lover." he added jokingly, drinking the rest from his cup.

jimin searched the crowd, eyes flickering to one place and another. then his eyes landed on a particular person. his chest suddenly felt light and he could feel this pleasant tingling sensation around his limbs melt his bones. he felt like he could walk on fire and not feel a thing. all this goodness tugged at jimin's heart. it ordered for him to walk closer towards the taller male. this feeling was a delicate leash tied around his neck and the closer he got, the tighter the leash felt and the lighter his head became. as if he was going to drift away any moment.

jimin had to tug at the scarf wrapped around his neck to give himself some air to breathe.

he pushed through the mass of people, nearly tripping over the indent in the dirt as he tried reaching the tall male with happiness pressed to the side of his cheeks. although he came to a halt, frozen mid step. he couldn't believe what he saw.

taehyung wrapped his arms around the tall man, pressing his lips against the other's.

the lightness in jimin's chest disappeared, like a flame being snuffed out. he wished he didn't feel as devastated as he did, the feeling too intense, nothing like he never felt before. out of all the people, it had to be him. 

jimin wanted to turn away. he wanted to walk away and pretend like he never saw that. he couldn't though when he heard taehyung's soft voice call out his name. he had no choice but to turn around with a smile spread across his face and it hurt to smile at that moment. his lips felt as if two hands were gripping at the corners and stretching them across his face.

'i'll be fine.' jimin thought silently in his head as made his way towards them, his hands stuffed in the pockets of his jeans and he thought, if he could just pushed them in a little deeper and disappear. disappear and never look at them again.

"jimin, i want you to meet my boyfriend. namjoon. namjoon, this is my best friend jimin." taehyung had his hand on namjoon's shoulder, looking up at him with all the love in the world and jimin felt his heart break a little more.

no, his mind must be playing tricks with him then. there's no way namjoon could be his soulmate, no, he's supposed to be taehyung's.

jimin felt the lightness in his chest slowly become filled with some sort of heavy feeling that kept him from breathing so clearly.

"nice to meet you, i hope you treat taehyung well." he toed at the dirt under his feet, unable to look at namjoon in the eye. 

"i will, you have my word."

jimin felt his chest tighten with pain, slowly burning throughout his body. "g-good." he stuttered out, fists tight and nails digging into his palms. a stinging sensation spreading and yet he could not bring himself to stop. in fact he welcomed the sensation, trying to focus on the stinging pain. 

jimin turned to taehyung, a sigh escaped his lips then followed by a smile which hid the turmoil that was raging a storm in his head. "you know, taehyung, i'm so sorry but i got this call from work. i'll catch up with you later." he lied through his teeth, it nearly scared him how easily he did it.

taehyung was visibly bothered though, it nearly had jimin spit the truth out. yet with a smile still on his face he hesitantly pulled taehyung into a hug.

"i know it's so sudden, i'll make sure to make it up to you."