one

one: the story truly begins now

in the realm of gods, there was a beautiful river that was a thousand miles long and filled to the brim with souls; all awaiting their passage to the netherworld. it's a haunting yet spectacular sight to see, round globes of soft blue lights create old memories against the crystal surface of the river's cold waters. the images danced across the surface, each with an emotion so different to the next. each told a story, some so grand, while others just as small and as simple as an ant.

oh, to see how prettily the river sparkled with these old memories, like the shimmering silk shawl a certain goddess loved to wear over her golden shoulders. a sky full of stars couldn't compare to the grandeur that is the river of souls. all this beauty is challenged by the gate to the netherworld, where the most souls gathered around, and it was a grand looming gate made of the finest silver. its structure a juxtaposition of elegant intricacies and giant simplicity. on each side of the gate was a guardian made of rubies, the red of their gem freckled skin stood out against the pure silver of the gate. 

the ruby guardians led the souls safely into the gate, using their elaborate silver hooks to fish the souls out of the nooks they have gotten stuck in, and amongst the blue globes was a lavender one, soft and gentle like a flower. closer, one could see the shimmer of golden butterflies that swam in lavender light. one could also see the memories it reflected upon the river's surface, a tale that spun out of control at the very end. 

a six-winged angel dressed in pearl amour carefully trudged through the globes of light, gently pushing them aside with her golden hook. the tool was so unlike the ruby guardian's silver hook, it was a tad bit longer and by far simpler. the gold color of the hook gave the angel a little more warmth, standing out against the opalescent shine and complementing the cream color of the pearls. 

despite moving through knee-deep water, velvet undergarments unbearably heavy, the angel managed to move gracefully. her lithe figure and unmarred skin made her seem delicate like a doll but there was something so frighteningly powerful. it could be her golden three pairs of wings that shined brightly like the sun or the power that oozed thick out her skin like honey. or the hook in her thin hands, swaying slowly from side to side, pushing souls out her way. the souls shivered violently with the touch of her golden hook, cowering in the presence of her power. finally, the angel stopped in front of the lavender soul. 

"you..." her voice was a gentle thrum of the harp. she knelt, resting her hook against her shoulder before she gathered the lavender soul that didn't shiver under her touch or power. her tiny pink mouth parted, the wings over her eyes quivering, its golden feathers ruffling in curiosity. bringing the soul to her ear, she heard the golden butterflies whisper, whisper little things that no mortal could comprehend. 

she gently stroked the lavender soul, "i see... good luck." she whispered back, each word gentle high notes of a lullaby. she tapped her golden hook on the ground, transforming it into a fishing net. the netting glimmered subtly under the glow of the souls, each golden thread thin as a strand of hair. she stowed the soul inside before spreading her two pairs of golden wings. when her wings were spread out, they were twice her arm's span, her feathers twitching before she took off in a flash of blinding white light. 

a spark momentarily bathed the glass temple in blinding light, the two pairs of golden wings stretched out coyishly before slowly folding against the angel's back. she looked small, maybe a third of the height of the goddess she knelt in front of. her power was insignificant in front of the goddess, whose entire aura filled the temple and spilled through the gaps. the angel gently pressed her forehead against the clothed shin of the goddess, trying not to shiver at the finger that pressed against her neck. 

"you've brought it?" unlike the angel, the goddess voice was the sensual rumble of ocean waves, deep yet calming, and so so gentle. 

"yes your heavenly highness." the angel rose the fishing net above her head, reaching out to pull out the lavender soul. she gently placed it on top of the goddess's outstretched hand. the soul was about the side of her fingernail, maybe a bit bigger, and its lavender glow contrasted greatly against the goddess's gold hand. she rose her hand to her lips, blowing on it gently. 

the lavender glow simmered down, a body slowly materialized on top of the hand of the goddess. it was a young man, curled up into a tight ball, his knees nearly touching his chest. he was naked, the golden butterflies on his skin shimmered prettily, a couple flaking off his skin and dissipating into the air. he rubbed his closed eye with the back of his hand. he slowly opened them, blearily blinking at the lights that shined around the temple. he looked down, sitting up in alarm when he noticed that it was a hand that he was under. he slowly turned his head to the side, spotting two large pink eyes that looked back at him. 

"there you are." thin red lips stretched into a smile.