seven

not really edited

chapter seven: falling from trees《

JIMIN knew that the days are trickling by quickly, decreasing by each passing day until he won't have anymore left. it's the reason why jimin found himself inside the forest, with a faded trail to guide him back to civilization, and with no one but himself. he had a large backpack on his back, stuffed to the fullest with his essentials: water, a map, sunscreen, first-aid, a box of matches, a swiss knife, and a flashlight. jimin was always a careful kind of person, which is why he may or may not have over done the packing. 

jimin could feel his back aching once an hour past by of him just walking along the trail, taking pictures of the warm rustic colours of the trees, of the squirrels that wandered around and about, and the birds that flew by. he placed his backpack by a tree stump, rolling the sleeves up of his obnoxiously reflective white jacket. he searched for the most climbable tree around the area, humming quietly to himself as he did so. once he found one, stout and wide oak tree, he began his work. one arm on this branch, another one that one, the soles of his shoes scraping against the bark at first before he found a perfect juncture between the branches of the trees. he scaled his way up until he was on a reasonable height on the tree. not too high but not too low. he grabbed his camera and began to snap pictures.

the sky was a beautiful blue colour, not a cloud in sight. just the brown common birds that passed by. he leaned his head against the tree, the rough bark pressing into his soft cheek. he swung his legs back and forth, looking at the scenery in front of him. it was so peaceful. his soul felt like it was being cleansed by the sight of the trees and its green leaves. he breathed out deeply, eyes fluttering shut. 

"jimin?" 

the butterflies in his stomach tickled his insides but only briefly, as a deep pain stabbed into his chest, cutting through that pleasant feeling. he yelped loudly, not expecting none of that at all as he fell forward. he grabbed onto one of the branches quickly, his foot stuck in the juncture between the branches. he grabbed onto that branch as tightly as he could, mostly trying to not fall than to figure out who that was. 

yet that feeling in his chest was all he needed to know. 

"oh my god- are you okay?" 

jimin bit down his lip, completely ignoring namjoon, not wanting to talk to him. even though that feeling in his chest and his entire soul urged him to. he wiggled his foot out of his shoe, stepping on another branch. he grabbed onto one that was under the branch he was holding and then carefully lowered himself on a thick branch. he balanced himself, grabbing it with both hands. he let out a sight of relief, pressing his head on the trunk of the tree. 

"minjoon? what are you doing here?" jimin asked, trying his best to act completely aloof and unbothered by his presence, to the point of not even remembering his name. it seemed to work as a knot between namjoon's brows formed. 

"namjoon... i was... i was just looking around." he chuckled, scratching the back of his head. "i just had the urge to take this path instead of my normal one." 

"oh... that's nice." jimin looked down at namjoon's attire, he wasn't at all that prepared for a journey this far into the forest. which was extremely dangerous according to jimin's 'professional' opinion. "i have bug spray in my backpack and sunscreen, you should get some. it seems like you just wandered into the forest with nothing but the clothes on your back." he said as loudly as he could.  

"o-oh. yeah." namjoon cleared his throat, turning around to look for the backpack. once he did he hesitantly unzipped it. 

"come on, get it, the ticks aren't just gonna wait for you to put on the bug spray." jimin huffed, crossing his arms over his chest. the aching pain in his chest flared up the more he kept up that act.