Prologue

You held onto your mother's hand tightly as she pulled you around the grocery store with her. You stared longingly at your favourite foods as you walked down each aisle, hoping your mother would be kind enough to put some in the shopping cart. You even tried to purposely tug her over to one of the boxes of cookies.

"Not this time, you've been eating too many of them lately," she told you as she dragged you away from the box.

A pout had stuck itself on your face after how many times your strategies had failed. You stared with your grey eyes, full of envy, at each cart that would pass by, full of delicious treats and snacks your tummy grumbled for. Eventually you had begun walking too slowly for your mother's tastes and she let out a sigh, stopping to bend down at your level.

"(Y/n), I know you want some but last time we got cookies you finished the box in a day. That's not healthy for a little girl like you, so we can't get any this time. If you promise me you won't devour the treats like it's the apocalypse, then maybe I'll buy you some next week when we come back," your mother promised. Your face brightened instantly at this and you nodded your head enthusiastically.

"I promise mommy!" you said. Your mother smiled and smoothed your hair down.

"Good girl, now let's finish shopping so we can go home," she said, standing up and moving the cart around again.

Happy with the compromise your mother had come up with, you helped her with the shopping and grabbed any foods your mother needed when you had the chance. You would have to be extra good this week so that your mother wouldn't change her mind.

Suddenly your eyes begin to feel tingly and you stopped in your tracks, reaching a hand up to rub your eyes. However, the feeling didn't go away, in fact it was becoming more prominent.

"Mommy," you whined, gaining her attention immediately. She turned around to stare at you before her eyes widened to the size of golf balls. She rushed to your side and dropped to her knees beside you.

"Honey it's okay, just let this happen," she assured you in a gentle tone, rubbing your back soothingly. "It'll only last a little longer, okay?"

You nodded your head with your eyes closed, wanting to be good for your mother. Suddenly you felt the urge to open your eyes, like they might start to burn if you didn't. So you did, and you were left staring into bright, golden eyes belonging to a boy. A boy you happened to know—and absolutely hated.

"Honey, you've found him! You've found your soulmate!" your mother exclaimed excitedly.

But you were anything but ecstatic. You glanced around at the shelves of the cosmetics section, your eyes finding a mirror and looking into it. There, staring back at you, was yourself, only your once grey eyes were now the same golden colour as the boy you so-hated.

"Mommy," you whispered, turning to stare at her with big, watery eyes. "I don't like him, he's mean to me."

"Nonsense, he's your soulmate. You'll grow to love him someday," she told you firmly.

You glanced back over at the boy you detested. He was staring at you with furrowed eyebrows and a frown, just as displeased as you were that you two were soulmates.

Devon Rogers—the boy that teased and bugged you like it was his life's purpose—was your soulmate.