Chapter 1

(Store)=Store of your choice

"(Y/n)! Devon's here!" your mom called from the first floor.

"I'm coming, just hold on for a sec!" you hollered back before letting out a frustrated sigh.

Devon; the boy you hated with your entire being, who also happened to be your soulmate. Why would the world do this to you? Apparently it was your fate to be miserable.

Devon was a boy you had known since you were in kindergarten, fifteen years ago. He was always a brat, and now, being the idiotic twenty-year-old he was, he's just turned into a complete asshole. It seemed that he was never taught to shape up, but perhaps that was because he only saved his horrendous attitude for you. Your mother wasn't aware of his true personality either, which was the reason she was so dead-set on getting you two together.

Society had strict rules, and your mother followed them like a true patriot. You needed to find your soulmate, be with them, and never willingly reject them. As long as you followed these you would be accepted. Rather than viewing these as ordered rules due to the soulmate phenomenon, your mother acted as if God Himself had given humans these instructions, worshipping them religiously and practically shoving them down your throat. You understood that your mother wanted you to live well, but sometimes she was just too pushy and intense.

Your father, on the other hand, was the complete opposite. While he, too, wanted you to fit in with society, your satisfaction took first priority. Just like your mother, he also wasn't aware of how Devon truly acted around you. But unlike your mother he respected the fact that you didn't like Devon, and so he never tried to force you two into a relationship. In fact, there were numerous times where he tried to save you from going on the forced dates your mother set up. He wasn't always successful, but the thought of him trying was enough to make you feel indebted to him.

Today was going to be just like any other Saturday; go on a date with Devon that your mother had set up, and pray to God that you'd be able to survive him today. Of course the date wasn't going to be what a typical girl would want, such as going to the movies or grabbing something to eat at a fancy restaurant. You weren't worthy enough to have Devon spend that much money on you. Instead, he's probably going to take you out to a store to buy one thing before returning you home, acting like you two had the best day of your lives.

Knowing that if you stalled any longer your mother would whoop your ass, you reluctantly left your room and trudged down the stairs to meet your mother at the front door. She stood there with a large smile, purple eyes shining with delight, right next to your 'oh so beloved' soulmate. He, too, had a grin on his face, but you could see the falsity from a mile away. It was all an act to keep your mother happy and oblivious to his true nature.

"Sorry, I had a bit of trouble picking an outfit," you mumbled the lame excuse. In reality, you weren't sorry at all, but you had to say something to make your mother satisfied.

"And you ended up with that?" your mother questioned, her nose wrinkling up with distaste as she gestured to your clothes.

You had on ripped skinny-jeans and an oversized black and white striped shirt. Something a little too casual for your mother's tastes apparently.

"What's wrong with it?" you asked.

"Are the jeans necessary? People are going to think you're poor," your mother replied and you had to stop yourself from sighing out loud. Oh, how you've heard that phrase before.

"Mom, they're a gift from Erika that I've yet to wear, just give me a pass for today," you pleaded. You could see her face distort with displeasure and you had to bite your tongue from snapping.