Chapter 2

Three brisk knocks followed by rapid taps had you racing to open the front door. You ran down the stairs before flinging the door open, a wide smile stretching across your face immediately.

"Thank God you're finally here. Come in," you said before grabbing onto your best friend's wrist and dragging her into the house.

"When you said your parents were going out, I came over as fast as I could," Erika said. She stopped by a mirror hanging on the wall and began patting at her hair while checking her makeup. "But your girl has gotta look good when she goes out, so I took a little longer than necessary."

"You always look fine," you said, making your way upstairs.

"Are you kidding me? I looked like a crusty piece of bread when I woke up. And if you hadn't told me your parents were leaving, I would've stayed that way the whole day," Erika said, following you up the stairs.

"Your definition of 'looking like a crusty piece of bread' is quite different from mine. I've seen your bad days before, and believe me when I say you look fine," you said as you entered your room. Erika, with no response, simply stuck her tongue out at you as she passed into your room.

"Whatever, this conversation is over. I didn't come here to argue about my looks," she said as she flopped onto your bed. After laying on her side for a few moments, she sat up cross-legged with a grin, a bright look in her eyes. "Why don't you tell me about this boy you met yesterday?"

"Alright," you said excitedly, taking a seat next to your friend.

After coming home from your "date" with Devon, you texted Erika about your encounter with Jungkook. It wasn't very detailed, just that you met a cute guy at the (store). This peeked Erika's interest, which led her to coming over today with the sole purpose of hearing your meeting with Jungkook.

"So I was fighting over a shirt I wanted with Devon, since he was being a dickwad. We made a scene and somehow the bastard was able to turn it around in his favour to make it seem like I was the bitchy girlfriend," you began. "He took me aside, choked me, told me to hurry up, and then left. Maybe a minute later, the cute guy, Jungkook, came over to ask if I was okay. Not gonna lie, I was pretty rude at first—"

"Really (Y/n)? You had one job," Erika interrupted with an unimpressed look.

"Okay, as I was saying, I was pretty rude at first, but then I realized how harsh I was coming off and corrected myself," you continued. "And good thing I did, because he basically came over to tell me he saw everything that happened and knew Devon was the one in the wrong. We talked for awhile, and he offered to check my stuff out for me so I wouldn't have to deal with rude cashiers. When I declined the offer he tried to bargain me with saying he would throw in a gift card, but I said that I could deal with the shitty people. And from there we went our separate ways."

Erika sat looking at you with an unreadable expression for a few seconds. She took a deep breath in before leaning over with her hands clasped together in front of her lips. Her eyes were scrunched closed before she stared up at you with a blank expression.

"Let me ask you one thing, (Y/n). Why the hell didn't you let him take your stuff so you could get a gift card?" she asked you.

"Because I didn't want to seem weak?" you tried.

"Yeah, fuck your pride (Y/n). That's a free gift card you just gave up!" Erika exclaimed, throwing her hands up in the air. "I mean, even if you didn't want the card, wouldn't you want to spend as much time with this guy as you could?"

"I can't appear that desperate, Erika. His eyes show that he's met his soulmate, so what if he's with them," you sighed.

"I don't care, at least try. Maybe he's got a bad soulmate like you," Erika said. "I couldn't give a shit about whether he's got a soulmate. We both know what I would've done."