twelve

“I don't know exactly but I have an idea. I’m still not sure but I hope I am right.”

They walked a little while longer and Sophie yawned a few more times and started to lean on Fitz, he moved his hand from holding hers to wrapping it around her, Sophie instinctively leaned into Fitz and tucked under his arm wrapping her arm around his waist. Fitz's heart soared, she had to like him. His eyes twinkled with the thought Sophie Foster would like him back.

After a few more minutes and a few more yawns from Sophie, they agreed they should head back. Fitz pulled out the Pathfinder and a few seconds later they were standing at the giant gates. As they made their way up the treelined path the house Fitz stopped for a second and pulled Sophie into a hug.

Holding Sophie tight felt so right to Fitz and the idea that she might like him back made his heart beat faster. Adrenaline was pulsing through his body. It was this burst of confidence and the thought that he might not get a chance once they made it in the house that he leaned down and kissed Sophie on the cheek.

The gold in Sophie's eyes went supersonic as she realized what had just happened. Fitz had to like her, why else would he hug her and kiss her cheek. It was all making sense, but confusion hit again how was she supposed to act now. She had always tried to not let on how she felt, she wasn't one of those girls who changed suddenly because a boy liked her, well she was pretty sure he liked her. So she did nothing, she just kept her head focused and didn't acknowledge anything had happened.

They made their way into the house and up the stairs. Fitz walked her to the guest room and said goodnight. She smiled at him and said goodnight and quickly ducked into the room and shut the door.

Rather than head to his room Fitz made his way to his dad's office hoping to find him there. His lips still tingled as thought about how had kissed Sophie on the cheek. Fitz was in luck to find Alden and Della sitting on the couch, almost as if they were waiting for Fitz to come see them.

“How was dinner? You are home late!” Della asked with a twinkle in her eye.

Fitz proceeded to tell them all about the night starting with how he had gotten lost and had to ask for directions only to find Sophie in the garden with Taron and then at the restaurant how Sophie looked when Arya was talking with Fitz. He continued and explained about their walk along the river and how he thought he had figured out that Sophie liked him back so when they got home he hugged her and gave her a kiss on the cheek but that after that Sophie was not the same. It was like she shut off her emotions. Had he misunderstood that she liked him? If she didn't like him and he had been so forward with a kiss on the cheek would that ruin everything they had worked on to be cognates.

He was so confused.

After some discussion Della suggested that Sophie may be just as nervous and scared as Fitz about what would happen if the feelings we not reciprocated. That gave Fitz something to think on as he said goodnight and made it back to his room. He decided  the only way to make things work was to show Sophie the next morning that she had nothing to worry about and that he liked her.