twenty two

Fitz and Keefe made their way to their dorm rooms to unpack their bags from the weekend before starting into classes again. Fitz wasn't sure if it was awesome or a disaster waiting to happen having Keefe in the dorm room across the hall from his.

“So you took Foster on a date huh? Does that mean no more secrets?”

“No, she didn't tell me her secret yet, we just figured out that we liked,” Fitz paused, “spending time together. So I asked her if I could take her on a date.”

Keefe gave him a look that said you can't lie to an empath and Fitz thought of all the times to have an empath for a best friend it had to be when he and Sophie started dating.

Well it was only one date but Fitz was already thinking about what to do for their second date. Maybe if this mind looping worked she would feel more comfortable with everything and he could ask her to officially be his girlfriend and he would be able to kiss her again. Just thinking about it made Fitz get excited for the next break and 6 weeks was going to go by so slow.

They made it to their respective rooms before agreeing to walk to class together and went in to drop off their stuff. Fitz meticulously put his books back on his shelves and arranged his notes that he would need for the day before opening the box of mallowmelt Sophie had given him. He pulled out a slice and grabbed Ella from his bag. It had been 3 years since he found Sophie and went back to grab Ella before bringing Sophie back to the lost cities permanently.

That had been a hard day.

Sophie was right there was a lot of emotional connection to the stuffed animals they had and the connection was deepened with their respective relationship with one another. Mr. Snuggles helped him deal with losing his dad and his anger towards Sophie and Ella helped Sophie deal with losing her human family when he was the one she could blame for taking her away. He was just about to reach out to Sophie telepathically to make sure she was ok with not having Ella when Keefe walked into his room.

“Dude you have mallowmelt and you didn't tell me? But more importantly why do you have Fosters elephant and where is your snuggle buddy?” Keefe asked looking at Fitz's empty bed. "Did something else happen on that date I should know about?"

Fitz sighed, “the mallowmelt is from Edaline and Sophie and I traded for a cognate thing to help us loop our minds, do you really want to hear all about it or if I give you some mallowmelt will you leave me alone?”

“I'll take the mallowmelt, telepaths are weird.”

Fitz rolled his eyes at Keefe, being a telepath was awesome and having a cognate partner was incredible, especially since that cognate was Sophie. The chimes rang out letting the prodigies know that class was going to start in five minutes. Knowing that it took him exactly 4 minutes to get to class Fitz hurried to grab his notes for the day before giving Ella one last squeeze, realizing Sophie must have spilled some of the panakes perfume Dex had made her on Ella at some point because she smelled faintly just like Calla's tree. Fitz took a deep breath, breathing in the smell and thought about Sophie before placing Ella in the middle of his pillow where Me. Snuggles usually sat.

How was he going to make it 6 weeks without seeing Sophie again?