thirteen

The next morning Fitz woke up early and went out to the garden to pick a bouquet of flowers for Sophie. He could hear Sophie moving around on the other side of the door and decided to knock. She was quick to answer the door.

“Hi Sophie, I thought you might enjoy some flowers this morning.”

“Thanks Fitz,” was the only response she gave him.

“Breakfast is ready can I walk down to the kitchen with you?”

“That's ok, I need to finish up here first and then I will head down. You don't need to wait for me.”

“Are you sure? I don't mind.”

“No go ahead, I'll be there in a few minutes.”

Fitz sighed as he made his way down to the kitchen feeling a little dejected at how the morning had not gone well but not sure why exactly.

When Sophie arrived in the kitchen for breakfast she had her metaphysics books and was quiet. She ate a couple bites of the fruit and a pastry before asking where would be the best place to study would be.

“Why don't you study out by the lake?” Alden suggested.

“That sounds like a great idea.” Sophie quickly finished eating and made her way out there to the dock. The moonlark's were still there and she watched them for a few minutes before she started reading her book.

In the kitchen the Biana turned to Fitz very confused, “What did you do to Sophie last night?”

“I don't know," Fitz answered not ready to tell Biana the whole story.  "One minute things were fabulous and I thought she liked me and the next she won't say more than two words to me and acts like I am a total stranger.”

“Did you actually tell her you like her?”

“No but I made it pretty obvious!”

“Idiot, I know she can read your mind but I seriously doubt she did!”

“What do I do? I can't go back to the towers with her upset with me.”

“Let her study for a while and clear her head. I will take her lunch and talk to her. Just don't go out there.”

Fitz sighed realizing Biana was right, he shouldn't go out to the lake no matter how much he wanted to, Sophie was different today and if he had misread everything she might not ever want to see him again.