fifty one

Nothing?” Biana asked for the third time after Sophie explained that right now she was just going to wait it out. If Fitz was freaked out by the letter then that was something she needed to know.

“Yes, this is what I want,” Sophie nodded.

“I'm proud of you. This is a really big deal and I think it will be good for you guys.” Biana reassured Sophie before heading to the leap master to head home for the night.

Sophie’s mind was strangely calm as she prepared for bed that night. She knew how she felt about Fitz and soon enough he would know exactly how she felt. She could only hope that he wouldn’t freak out and now there would be no more secrets and they would finally be full cognates. She cuddled with a Fitzified Mr. Snuggles and quickly fell into a comforting deep sleep.

The rest of the week Sophie anxiously waited for Fitz to mention the letter when they checked in with one another but his conversation was kept light as he told her about Keefe trying to pull pranks, his mentors praising his hard work in class and of course the things he missed about her. She told him about her classes, working with Rina in the tutoring center and the crazy life at Havenfield. She did not mention her feelings towards Fitz at all and if he noticed he didn't let on at all.

On Friday after school Rina bounced into the tutoring center excited to share her news with Sophie.

“My parents have been so pleased with my improvements in my classes they hailed Grady and he told them I could come over and they agreed to let me come over this weekend and help with the animals! I can't believe it, I am so excited!” Rina exclaimed barely able to contain her emotions. “This is going to be the best weekend ever!”

“That is great, I am excited they are finally letting you come over. You will love Verdi and Iggy.” Sophie replied trying to muster some enthusiasm to match Rina. “We should try and get all our homework done so we have lots of time to spend with the animals.”

Rina agreed and tried to focus on her homework and after a couple hours both girls closed their books in exhaustion. The homework was done.

“So what time should I come over tomorrow?” Rina asked Sophie as they were packing up their books.

“How about 10:00? I can show you around and then you can help feed them lunch.” Sophie replied happy to have someone help with her chores.

“Really? I can help feed them?” Rina’s eyes grew big at the thought of actually helping with the animals.

“Absolutely.”

Sophie smiled thinking how Rina’s excitement reminded her of Amy when she came to visit. Bronte’s words echoed in her head when he questioned if a day was worth any less living just because you wouldn't remember it. She knew tomorrow would be a day Rina would remember her whole life and wanted to make it extra special for her new friend.

That night she planned with Grady and Edaline all the things they could do to make Rina's visit to Havenfield memorable. Sophie had lost track of time and was already in bed for the night when Fitz transmitted to her.

“Sophie can you talk?”

“Yeah for few minutes, I will warn you though I may fall asleep. It has been a long day.”

“Did you have another ability session today?”

“No I haven't had one since Monday.”

Sophie consciously did not let her thoughts drift to that session. She had not told Fitz about it this week and until he found the letter didn't feel like she could just bring it up.