fifty seven

“Hello Fitz,” Taron scowled. “I should have realized it was you.”

“Sophie, I don't understand, why is he here and what is going on? Was it all a joke to you? I thought we had something, and seriously you are here in this spot with him? I can't even believe this.” Fitz said the confusion turning to anger rapidly as he took in the scene. “I guess I was wrong.”

Before Sophie could say anything Fitz dropped the box he was holding and grabbed his home crystal catching a beam of light and was gone.

“What just happened?” Sophie said aloud. Jumping up to where Fitz had stood only a few seconds ago. Reaching down to pick up the box he dropped her mind was pulled back to clarity.

“You,” she turned pointing at Taron. “What did you do to me?”

“Taron you didn't.” A soft trembling voice came from the other side of the tree. “You promised me you wouldn't mess up anything and that you wouldn't use your ability. How could you?”

“Rina, I didn't mean to. I just couldn't help myself. You know how it is sometimes.” Taron said the voice from the morning returning.

“Will someone explain this to me? What just happened?” Sophie questioned.

“Taron is a beguiler. He used his voice to make you do things.” Rina explained. “He didn't manifest until 5th level which is unheard of so he hasn't had a lot of training. In fact most people don't even know that it is his ability.”

Sophie's confused face came to clarity. Fitz would have to understand, it wasn't anything. She just had to explain everything to him. She reached for her Pathfinder but her pocket was empty, realization hit that she had left it in her room. Still holding his box she raced for the cliff to jump off to teleport to Everglen.

Taron and Rhina stood in silence clearly shook from seeing Sophie jump off the cliff. Taron finally asked “Did she just jump off the cliff?”

“Yes, she has told me about it but seeing it in person is way different than I imagined it.” Rina replied quietly.

“Let's go home, I think it would be best if we leave. You can hail her later.” Taron said pulling out his home crystal. Rina nodded and grabbed his hand.

******

Sophie successfully teleported to the Vackers front door and was pounding on it, hoping someone would hear her and answer it, she had been there lots of times but it still felt wrong to just walk in.

“Coming, coming.”

She heard Della's voice from behind the door. Taking a step back Sophie clutched Fitz's box to her chest and willed the tears that were close to falling to stay put.

“Sophie dear what is wrong? Why aren't you with Fitz?” Della's eyes sweeping over Sophie's face.

“He isn't here?” Sophie whimpered.

“No the last I saw he was heading to see you, he was so excited to give you his gift. Which I see you have so what happened?” Della asked still a little bewildered by the emotional girl in front of her.

Sophie broke down sobbing. Della instinctively grabbed Sophie and tried to comfort her. After it seemed there were no more tears to cry she started tell Della everything that had happened with Taron starting with that night in Eternalia ending with he was a beguiler and tricked her but Fitz didn't know that and left. “I haven't even opened his present, I just want to talk to him and explain what happened.”

“Have you tried to reach him telepathically?”

Sophie shook her head, “I just teleported here and ended up at your front door.”