forty one

Sure enough there were lots of questions. Sophie and Fitz were the first ones of their friends to be in an actual relationship and it felt like Marella and Linh wanted to experience everything vicariously. Biana wanted details until it clicked this was her brother and her best friend and then it kind of felt weird. Dex had resumed the teasing side and Tam just didn't care. They had made it to their lockers and were getting everything they needed for their first sessions when Sophie heard a familiar voice in her head.

“You were right it was about joining your sessions and I am really excited. It sounds way cool and I am a little jealous you will get to go every week and I only get to come occasionally.”

“What do you mean?”

“Magnate Leto told me some of the people he wants to mentor you and it is way impressive. They aren't just sticking with your abilities, they are bringing in lots of people to help see how you can work together.”

“Really?”

“Yes, it sounds like the who’s who of elves will be mentoring you.”

“I didn't know that. Were there any cognates on the list?”

“I didn't ask, but it sounds like a telepathy session will happen soon. They are going to figure out the times that work best with my schedule and work from there. So hopefully we can see each other again soon.”

“That sounds good. I just got to class so I better go. Let's talk again tonight if you can.”

“I should be able to. Bye Sophie.”

Fitz contemplated adding that he would miss her but decided against it.

Classes that day were uneventful but word of Sophie and Fitz's new couple status spread like everblaze and Sophie couldn't help but overhear the whispers of students gossiping about her. She thought to herself, something's never change.

When she arrived at her locker at the end of the day she was surprised to find a scroll from Magnate Leto, she quickly shoved it in her bag not wanting to be late for her tutoring session with Lady Nissa. The tutoring center had become one of Sophie’s favorite places to study. She was able to focus and really get a lot done and when she needed extra help Lady Nissa was always happy to help out. She arrived at the tutoring center surprised to see way more students than usual, apparently word had gotten about how helpful it really was.

“Sophie I am glad you are here!” Lady Nissa exclaimed as soon as she saw Sophie. “I know I usually tutor you but do you think you can help a level 1 prodigy figure out how to use her photographic memory for school? I would really appreciate it.”

“Sure no problem.” Sophie answered. She had quite a bit of homework herself but figured it would be ok to help out a younger student for a little while.

“Sophie the is Rina,” Lady Nissa said making the introduction. “I am hoping you guys can figure out some photographic memory tricks.”

“Oh my goodness, are you really Sophie Foster?” Rina asked looking star eyed.

“Yes.” Sophie answered not wanting to hear any more gossip or answer any questions about Fitz.

“So you really live at Havenfield with all the wild animals?” The question surprised Sophie.

“Yes I do.” Sophie still trying to figure out where this conversation was going.

“Oh my goodness, you are so lucky. I love animals and really want to manifest as an empath so I can work in the sanctuary, but I'll probably be a conjurer like my mom.”

“Edaline is a conjurer and she works with the animals at Havenfield, you can use almost any ability to work with animals if you really want to.” Sophie answered. “I use my telepathy to talk to them sometimes. Plus you don't even have to have an ability Jurek doesn't have one.”

“Wow, I never thought of being able to use other abilities. I guess I just have to wait and see if I get an ability.” Rina said excitedly. “Wait who is Jurek?”

“Jurek works in the Sanctuary, I met him when I helped with the alicorns and we talked again this weekend.

“You helped with the Alicorns and you get to go hang out at the Sanctuary? That is so cool. My parents never let me do anything cool, if my brother wasn't here at Foxfire they probably wouldn't have even let me come to school.”

“Well this weekend was kind of a special occasion, normally I don't just go hang out there. You could probably come to Havenfield one day and meet the animals if your parents were ok with it. I could have Grady or Edaline hail them for you.”

“Seriously that would be amazing!”

“Sure, let's get some studying figured out and then we can talk more, what subject are you struggling with?”

“The Universe.”

Sophie grinned and they got to work.

When Sophie got home that night she could hardly contain her excitement. During dinner she told Grady and Edaline all about helping at the tutoring center and meeting Rina. Sophie explained how the level 1 loved animals and wanted to help with them and that she had invited Rina to come see Havenfield. Sophie continued to tell them all about helping tutor her and how much fun it had been to teach her tricks to use with a photographic memory especially about star maps.

“That sounds really wonderful, don't let it distract you from your own studies. You have a lot of big things coming up,” Edaline reminded her. “We would love to have her come and help though, so whatever we need to do for her parents let me know.”

“Thank you, I won't. I should probably get up stairs and start my own studies.” Sophie replied before heading upstairs to tackle the homework she didn't get done in the tutoring center. She settled into her desk and pulled out her books and saw the scroll from Magnate Leto. She pulled it open and was surprised to see the following.

Miss Foster,

This week will start your focused ability training. This will replace part of your Elvin History session.

You will report to the silver tower on Friday after lunch. A special classroom has been set up for you where all your sessions will take place. Master Cadence will show you this week.

This will be the schedule you will follow for the next 4 weeks.

Week 1-Councillor Clarette-speaking with animals

Week 2-Councillors Bronte and Oralie-understanding emotions to inflict

Week 3-Councillor Liora-Navigating the Void

Week 4-Orem Vacker-Illusions to Impress

The following 6 weeks are yet to be determined.

Please remember the tower is a place for study and personal contemplation. It is imperative that you leave outside distractions and worries at the door and prepare for true enlightenment.

-Magnate Leto

Wow was all Sophie could think. The last paragraph was familiar and Sophie remembered when she first went to the towers him giving her a similar explanation, something felt off about it though and she couldn't take time to process that right now. She was more worried about the names on the list.

She had a great relationship with Bronte and Oralie so no worries there but the others were surprises.

Especially Orem Vacker. He was a flasher, how was a flasher going to teach her about her abilities? Or true enlightenment, whatever that meant.