eighteen

Sophie was not expecting to see the blinding gates in front of her when she focused after leaping.

"Everglen? Did you forget something?" Sophie asked confused why they were here for their date.

"Nope," Fitz answered coyly. "I have something special planned."

Sophie could see the excitement in his eyes and wondered what he had planned. She had been to Everglen hundreds of times since coming to the lost cities but never thought of it being a place for a date. From what Biana had described dating sounded similar to what she had observed back in San Diego, typically you didn't take someone on a first date to your own house, but with the Vacker estate who knew what surprises were there.

Fitz opened the gates and rather than making their way to the front door as usual he led her around to the lake. They were just about there when Sophie saw the dock she had been studying at earlier no longer had the table and chairs she had used earlier. It now had a small boat tied to the dock.

"I thought we could take the boat and have a picnic on the other side"

"I've never been to the other side of the lake, what is over there?" Sophie asked her eyebrows going up with excitement.

"You'll just have to wait and see!"

The look on Sophie's face made Fitz happy, he had wanted to plan something special and so far things were going very well. When they arrived at the dock Fitz broke away from Sophie and jumped in the boat and extended his hand up to help her in the boat She hesitated for second waiting for something to happen.

"What's wrong?" Fitz asked with a puzzled look.

"Aren't you worried it is going to tip over?" Her voice had the slight quiver that made Fitz's heart race.

"Why would it tip over?" Fitz asked trying hard not to laugh at the thought of a boat tipping over.

"You mean boats here don't. . ." Sophie started to say before realizing of course boats don't tip over in the lost cities, why would they.

Fitz just nodded and grinned as Sophie jumped in the boat. He led her to the seat at the rear of the boat that faced the front. He untied the rope that was keeping the boat at the dock before taking the seat at the front facing Sophie and pulled the oars out to lock in place to start rowing to the other side of the lake.

Fitz rowed skillfully towards the other side of the lake and with each movement she could see the muscles in his arms tighten in his fitted tunic. He really is too perfect for words Sophie thought.

She looked around and from the middle of the lake she could see a 360 view of the massive estate.

"Wow" she sighed.

"The view is beautiful right now," Fitz said staring right at Sophie.

"Your house looks incredible from here."

"That wasn't the view I was talking about."

Sophie blushed and ducked her head. Compliments were always hard but now knowing that Fitz liked her she didn't know what to say. Fitz just grinned and kept staring as he continued rowing closing the distance to the other side of the lake.

When they reached it Sophie was surprised to find it wasn't grassy like the side closest to the house but was more like a sandy beach she had visited in San Diego. Fitz gave one more hard push to the oars and the boat slid right up on to the sand. He reached for Sophie's hand and helped her out of the boat and onto the sand. Up away from the water was a small silk canopy set up with a rug and fluffy pillows. A small table had plates of food Sophie and never seen before as well as a tray of desserts.

"Is this for us?" Sophie asked breathlessly taking a it all in.

"Do you like it?" Fitz asked while nodding his head up and down.

"It is incredible."

"Good I wanted something special for us for our first date."

"What else do you have planned?"

Fitz ran he had through his hair as he thought how to answer her question.

"Well to be honest I hoped we could just talk and hangout like we usually do. I didn't want to do anything too crazy, I just want to spend time with you."

Without a second thought Sophie reached over and gave Fitz a huge hug. "It is perfect!"

Fitz breathed a sigh of relief and hugged Sophie back. After breaking apart Fitz took Sophie's hand and led her over to the picnic that had been set up for them. They sat down, fingers not wanting to let go of one another and Fitz explained what some of the food was that Sophie didn't recognize. Conversation came easily as Fitz told her all about the past month and Sophie filled him in on what had been happening with their friends. The sun was lowering in the sky and the stars were beginning to break through and before they knew it the moon could be seen rising in the sky.

"Sophie I could spend all night talking with you but I really should be getting you home. I don't want Grady and Edaline to get upset and not let you come on another date with me."

Sophie blushed remembering a couple nights ago they did stay up talking all night long and how she wished they could just stay in this wonderful place that Fitz had put together for the night talking but he was right, they did have school the next day and Grady had said to not stay out too late. She almost missed the last part about another date. "You want to go on another date?"

Fitz looked at Sophie and she could see his teal eyes twinkling at the thought of taking Sophie on another date. "Yes, if you'll let me?"

Sophie nodded and smiled the one that Fitz had missed the most the past month. The one where he knew she was happy.

"Well let's get you home than." Fitz said as stood and helped Sophie stand up, not letting go of her hand he pulled out his Pathfinder and twisted it to Havenfield. A few seconds later they were standing on the doorstep.

"Fitz thank you so much for tonight it was absolutely perfect, I love spending time time with you." Sophie reached her arms up to give Fitz a hug, they stood there holding on to one another not wanting to break apart. There was only one thing that could make this night more perfect and feeling the pressure inside her grow Sophie went up on her tippy toes and placed her lips on Fitz's cheek giving him the softest kiss before whispering in his ear, "I'll see you tomorrow before you have to check back into the towers."

Fitz grinned, "you can count on it."

Author note
Today is my birthday so my gift to you all is the first date! May 26

If you like my story give me a vote or a comment of your favorite part! Thanks for reading!