fifty four

Fitz couldn't believe how fast the past 2 weeks had gone by. The council had kept him busy with additional preparations for the trip to Gildingham. In addition to a basic goblin etiquette course Fitz had also spent every free minute trying to learn the idiosyncrasies of the Goblin language. More than once during a particular tough pronunciation he had reached out to Sophie to ask for help. He reminded himself that the next time he saw Magnet Leto to thank him for making Sophie a polyglot.

He was sure that with their Cognate status and her multiple abilities the council would send them on lots of assignments. Normally he would be upset to be considered the partner and not the main attraction but if it meant he got to be with Sophie all the time it wouldn't be bad. Too bad for him she was not being asked to go on this trip. Nope this trip was to discuss the Elvin regiments and how to promote the positive relationship and work to further it. He knew he would get to see Grizel and Sandor again as they were scheduled to lead a discussion on issues with minor charges in the lost cities. Really they should have asked Woltzer he had all kinds of stories about the difficulty in protecting a vanisher, especially when the vanisher was exceptionally talented and fearless.

Fitz was mentally going over his necessities for the trip and didn't notice Keefe sauntering through the door.

“All ready for your big trip?” Keefe said eyeing the room, still trying to figure out where Fitz kept the treats.

“Just about, I am glad you and Sophie told me to go.” Fitz said keeping his eyes focussed on the contents of his messenger bag.

“Don't forget to bring me home a present, none of that junk you brought back from the Forbidden cities either, I want something to cause a little trouble with!” Keefe said wiggling his eyebrows at Fitz.

Fit rolled his eyes and replied, “it is a work trip not a vacation.”

“Still try and have a little fun! You get a weekend out of the towers and I am stuck helping Master Cadence help some prodigy with mimicking again.” Keefe said plopping on Fitz's bed and putting his  hands behind his head. “For some odd reason she thinks being an empath will help me discover why whoever it is can't mimic, something about an emotional connection breakthrough.”

“Well don't torment who ever it is too much. Not everyone is willing to put up with you like me. Why do I put up with you?” Fitz teased jabbing Keefe on his side.

“You put up with me because if you didn't I might just sneak a gulon in your room or put some hairoids in breakfast.” Keefe smirked. “Now why don't you give me more of your treats to keep me company while you are gone.”

Fitz just rolled his eyes and proceeded to tug Keefe off his bed and pull him out of the room.

“Stay out of my stuff and maybe I'll share some of the custard bursts with you when I get back.”

“I want more of the Ripplefluffs, those are delicious.”

“Are you sure it was Ripplefluffs in the box, my parents have never sent those.” Fitz puzzled, he had forgotten Keefe had said that before and now the confusion was brought to the front of Fitz's mind.

Keefe thought for a second, this was a perfect opportunity to tell Fitz the truth that the box was from Sophie but he still couldn't let Fitz see the letter. Not without knowing exactly how Sophie felt and he still hadn't figured out how he was going to find an opportunity to talk to her until the next break

“Well maybe it wasn't Ripplefluffs and I am just hoping you have some of those hiding in here. Can't blame a guy for trying to snag another box!” Keefe replied smoothly, after years of lying to his father it slipped off the tongue with ease.