Chapter 14 : Fire

Arc : One (1.8)

I did promise to serve the country, but I vowed to love you.

――――――――――

After arriving several meters away from the orphanage, Xael and her Uncles dismounted their horse. Sigvard and Sigfred immediately took their swords while Xael fished out a large silk fabric with the size of a shawl.

Even though Sigvard and Sigfred were clueless on what she's doing, they didn't question her as they trusted her enough to do that.

The orphanage was your classic two story building. Everything is made in bricks and stone though the window is not as secured as it was in the modern world.

It was a good thing that both her Uncles were familiar at this place's hidden passageways that they were able to quickly cross over.

As they entered the back door, Xael spotted a well toned man sitting near the fire place. It was not even spring but the man seemed to be enjoying the heat the fire place kept providing. Several of them were dozing off, while others would either be playing with cards or brandishing their weapons.

In the center of the room, the children including the nuns were on their knees while covering the kids from the eyes of the barbarians.

Looks like, the man near the hearth was in charge.

This mission would have been solved by a single person; needless to say, she only has twelve minutes left. Xael slowly leaned to one of the shoji* before tapping it lightly.

A skill she earnestly tried to master in one of her mission, she was able to produce a vibration of 20,000 hertz. A sound only kids or people with great healthy body could hear.

Like she expected, few of the children subconsciously turned their heads towards her. Though risky, as a distraction, Sigvard threw a vase outside the window.

While Xael was motioning the kids to move away, the man in charge slowly stood up aiming to walk near the kids. As if he was planning something, he stretched out his hand only for him to be grabbed by Sigfred.

As an intruder showed up, the barbarians were now on the move. Xael didn't step out in the frontline as Sigfred and Sigvard did the job, charging with their swords, they cleanly dealt with the barbarians one stepped at a time.

Unexpectedly, the man in charge actually has some capability as he slipped away from the brother's hands. He ran to the kids who were now near the altar, scaring them. Due to that, a girl suddenly knocked over a clothed table with a few lighted candles on top, sending all of it down.

A small fire has begun to set ablaze.

"Ouch! It hurts!" The girl exclaimed, it seemed like she received some burn from the candles.

The man, who's clearly in rage because of the scene, grabbed on one of the people near him before trying to commit some violence, his fist almost landed on the nun's chest until a strong forced hammer his hand away.

Xael who's only looking from the side stepped in. The fabric she held earlier were now soaked with water. She didn't wait for anymore stupid second as she charged towards the man sending a powerful kick on his chin.

She grabbed his wrist before flinging him like a sack of rice on the floor. Leaving the lackeys on her uncles, Xael unfurled her wet fabric before she kept on swatting the fire.