Chapter 28 : Blessing

Arc : One (1.22)

I did promise to serve the country, but I vowed to love you.

――――――――――

The war lasted for almost two months; a few more days before Xael's time limit were over. Even though she and Marshell managed to eliminate the man behind all of this, warding off the soldiers from the enemy's side is not a matter that could happen overnight.

The crown prince was then sent back to the royal palace with the news that he was seen collaborating with an enemy country, when the war was at its peak, an internal conflict came up and he was almost tortured to death.

But instead of being happy when his son came back alive, the king was furious; he immediately stripped of the crown prince's title, removed him from the royal family and throws him to the country side to die alone.

Unknown to whether he still loved his son that he gave him a leeway and didn't execute him or he's punishing him to live a live not living, Xael didn't know and didn't care.

After learning that what happened on the original story was because of the crown prince's vile plan, Xael decided to let go of her plans to take revenge to Charles and Yvonne.

As she thought about it, Xael M. was not craving for revenge, all she wanted to do was to make Charles understood her feelings, and Xael M. has accomplished that in several ways.

Honestly, other than Yvonne previously lusting towards her husband and her, hating Charles' way of doing things due to some issues, they have not done anything to receive more face slap after the scene that night.

When the war ended and she met Charles after a very long time, Xael has said her piece for the closure. Wearing the outfit that Xael M. prefer, a lovely dress of green juniper hug her body, instead of displaying a character with girlish aura, she stood out like a proper lady that was born to be love.

The battle field might not be the best parting setting but the earlier the better, Xael then walked slowly but surely.

Charles wanted to say a lot of things but before he could even express his feelings, Xael poured cold water on his feelings.

"Charles, I know that things didn't end up like what we thought it would be but I wanted to say thank you. If not for you, I wouldn't be with my lover now. I know you really didn't love me and were just doing it because of your responsibility. I sometimes want to hate you but I can't change what I feel. It's like I'm loving you to hurt myself."

A sweet voice left her mouth but her eyes were seething with thin sarcasm. She really wanted to slap this man but Xael M. wouldn't want that and besides, Zeether, no Marshell was getting jealous.

She said that she just wanted to take a 'little' bit of revenge for some past grievance but the man mistook it on Xael still thinking of Charles because she loves him. In Layman's term, she's a bitter woman. What kind of logic is that?!

"The whole time, I was just convincing myself that maybe, if we still have even just a thin thread to connect us, I'll have the chance to have your heart but I know that that's just a dream. A one sided love can't hold a relationship. We were not meant to be."  

Xael smiled, it was too pure that Charles' tongue could only stay on where it was. "Honestly, I'm happy, you've given me the chance to give my love for someone else. Zeether is a great man, I really love him, he made me realize what true love is and we're planning on getting married. I heard you got a position in the capital but I still hope that you could come on our wedding day. Please be happy."