Chapter 21 : Provoke

Arc : One (1.15)

I did promise to serve the country, but I vowed to love you.

――――――――――

Yvonne clearly didn't appreciate the tone that was intentionally printed at Xael's response but she didn't linger on that issue anymore.

Yvonne was not as narrow-minded as the girls from a noble family, no, it should be unbalanced naivety, unfortunately she was not as virtuous as them. She was thought to be tough and knows how to get what she wants in a forceful and physical way.

Not backing down, Yvonne continued. "I might be able to keep my mouth shut but that doesn't mean that the talk about you will lessen, at the end of the day, I'm not in control of other people's mouth. If you want to be respected here then act properly. It would help if you start with your attire."

Yvonne's face gives off the feeling of sincerity and bitterness, mixed with jealousy and a pinch of hate. Not understanding the progress, Xael decided to stay on the middle by offending Yvonne like how it should be.

"I'm grateful to hear your concerns but be at ease, I'll keep your suggestions on my mind. And since I'm truly grateful, I'm giving you back a piece of advice." Xael beamed with smile that didn't reach her eyes. "Another stupid nonsense and this would end as someone losing a part of her before leaving this place alive."

Xael backed away; the coldness around her seemed to warp around Yvonne making the strands of hair on her nape stand.

She slowly sat on her seat and continued to laze as if nothing has happened, ignoring the hostility that Yvonne didn't bother to cover up. Her stare was definitely strange.

Not waiting for Xael to reply, Yvonne turned her heels and walked away after giving a short greeting.

Just like that, their first encounter has ended.

The next morning, the soldiers were on their usual heavy training. It was great that it was spring and the sun was not as torturous as it was a few days ago. The soldiers were a lot more comfortable and well minded.

Right now, it was the part of the day where a sparring would become the center of attention.

Man takes on another man and fight bare handed, only skills and talent were their weapon.

It was livelier than ever, sounds of muscles flexing, skin rubbing, and swift body movements continued to erupt one after another.

Yvonne, who was also one of them, has her smile on her face as she watched the spar of all her brothers in the camp. This was a friendly but a competitive battle.

Surprisingly, the people only got noisier a minute when a lady wearing a tight fitting black suit topped with camouflage uniform walked in, making the people paved a way for her like it's natural.

Her hair was arrange in high pony tail that gorgeously swing whenever she walks, the light of the sun makes her stunning juniper green eyes gleam captivating one's sight, her beauty was something that would cause destruction.

Yvonne was wondering about the woman's identity until that lady stopped her tracks in front of her. Xael consciously smiled to Yvonne before saying, "See, I always keep my word,"

Her smile sent many men into daze, that broke when a person who was finally able to guess her name shouted.

"Xael Martinaeu!"

As those words left the mouth to be heard, faces turned green with mixed feelings. Some felt disgust, ridicule, fear, and so on. Her reputation was already painted so black that even her face would not be able to save it.

Yvonne finally understood the situation was immediately out of her stunned state not because of Xael's sudden appearance but with the arrival of the person she longed for.

As if getting an idea out of it, Yvonne proudly shortened the distance between her and Xael as she straightforwardly stated. "I challenged you to a spar, I'm sure that you came prepared today."

The soldiers around were shocked with the sudden advancements but then cheered as they knew that something interesting will happen.

Xael grinned; she has expected this from Yvonne. In the world status, Yvonne did challenge her. Xael M., thinking that her position in Charles' heart was shaking, immediately approved.

Remembering that she's supposed to be someone delicate, it was already too late. Unable to back down, Xael M. could only shout Charles' name as if she's asking for help. Basically, she's defeated in every perspective making it more disgraceful.

This time, that blindness and mistake will never repeat. Xael agreed before confidently heading into the open circle while she smile provokingly.

Her actions not only provoked Yvonne but sent some hearts into craziness. Among that crowd, one gaze were full of possessiveness, protectiveness, and anger while another one was filled with disappointment as he shook his head in shame.

Yvonne felt annoyance in her heart. Isn't it enough that she seduced my man; she still had the guts to do it with others too? This fake slut.

Walking towards the circle, Yvonne's eyes narrowed. "Are you sure that you can do this? I just asked you for fun, I didn't think that you'll actually accept it." Yvonne laughed jovially.

Who was she kidding? Xael knew that she really meant that challenge. Hoh? I should think twice with this girl's personality, she seemed to be an up straight person but to use this kind of way to wash her hand clean before the fight. Ah... too bad.

"Oh! You underestimated me too much. Even I could recognize lies from truths. And this one, it's a payback for your sincerity yesterday. I thought of not doing it but I changed my mind since you looked like you have something you want to prove." Xael was not in her usual mode anymore.

After contemplating a bit, she realized that until she didn't rouse that person, then that person will never go near her on his own accord.

Yvonne' facial expression cracked, she couldn't believe that this woman who always stayed on the side could actually be deep. Looking at her eyes, Yvonne knew that it was clear but unreadable. Unfortunately for her, she didn't knew that she's expecting something worst.

――――――――――

《 Author's Note

I'm in a very very bad mood due to house issues right now... 

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ please vote and leave some review my beloved readers...

You could also see this story on: yashahimesama.wordpress.com