Chapter 26 : Caught you

Arc : One (1.20)

I did promise to serve the country, but I vowed to love you.

――――――――――

The movements of the other party were faster this time; a small case of arson broke out from the soldier's quarters burning quite a number of tents.

Not in panicked but distress, soldiers were pacing from every corner, either holding a weapon, pitching new tents, or checking equipments and armor. It was very visible across the fields, in just a heartbeat the war finally started.

Xael's idea of spilling things out were put on hold, she has decided to tell her husband the information about war but that would pose a greater risk with their situation right now. Taking that arson has appeared meaning that the mastermind behind the war was not on the move; rather he's using it as bait and is still roaming around.

After pondering a bit, she realized that it might not be impossible to just guide him and work from behinds, the thing Xael was used to. It was also helpful that Marshell was working his way on 'hiding' her from Charles crossing out the possibility of reconciliation, a very dirty way.

She was not into responsibility and it would be better for her if her husband would be the one to rake all the merit, a win-win situation.

Xael observed the situation more. To her, war where thousands and millions of life could be taken in a single night was not a joke but if she wanted to end the bloody fight quickly, and then she has to exterminate the one who's in control.

In just several nights, loud roars of men could be heard from the other side of the field, the smell of blood is still not pungent as the two parties were on standby. Torches was lit up, it could give a glimpse of the enmity from the eyes of the other party.

The war was active and the faceoff of the soldiers will definitely happen tonight.

Instead of focusing on that, Xael was more intrigued on why even a shadow of her husband was not in sight. She was not allowed to leave her tent unaccompanied as she didn't come as a soldier but as a guest.

Rolling on her sheets, she couldn't help but feel some uneasiness in her heart. She didn't know but it was very familiar, awfully familiar, as if she has already experience it before.

It was bitter sweet when epiphany has struck her. How could I forget? She angrily yet sadly said to herself.

The feeling whenever her husband would be out to manage dangerous jobs, she would always fell into dilemma, to wait for her husband obediently or follow him and watched out for his back but in the end, she would patiently wait for her husband in his room.

Sleepless nights were never short, but she did not get tired. She would always welcome him with a hug and a very soft and passionate kiss as if they had not met in years.

This time, she wanted to wait but something was telling her that that choice was not the right one this time.

Getting on her feet, she hurriedly changed into an all black body hugging suit. Instead of wearing combat boots, flexible and light shoes were in her feet, her hair braided into her usual combat style.

In the midst of the night, she sneaks around the camp, glancing from tents to unpopulated area. Just as she was passing by the guards on the gate, a short and fuzzy whisper caught her ears. "It's true... I've heard it clearly from... they sent... scapegoat... such a shame..."

Those words were enough to send chills to Xael's heart she almost fall back to her feet. Her fist balled tightly that if not for her gloves, her hand would undoubtedly bleed.

Her eyes were filled with murderous intent, it was plausible that anytime, she would try grabbing her dagger and plunging it into someone's chest.

Taking a lead from there, she ran to the direction of the enemy camp in full tilt. As the lights were getting closer and closer, Xael's eyes were nowhere near as warm as it was whenever she's with Marshell.

She knew that she must not get agitated as that would bring wrong moves, normally people would think that she would be blinded by love and will walk straight into that pit of trap, briskly enter the camp and annihilate everyone but Xael knew that that choice was the easiest but not the best.

There's more disadvantage than the advantage she will reap in the end. She might even end up losing her husband again. That serves as her determination, her will to resist doing something that would lead to her insanity.

Waiting for the exact time, when people tend to lower their guard and sensitivity to surroundings were at its weakest, Xael successfully infiltrated the camp.

Roaming around, it was not that much different from the camp she was in, there were just particular things that the other camp did not possess or the other way around. If she continued this way, it will take forever before she could even made a progress.

As her sight caught something, a vehement and ear splitting bellow erupted from the outside of the camp. The sign that the war has finally started to become bloody.

Not tarrying any longer, Xael discreetly scampered in one of the tents.

The moment she peeked through, Marshell, who was wearing almost the same clothes as the rest of people inside, has a sword hanging one inch away from his chest.

It was easy to guess that it was not a friendly talk, judging from the way the people was highly tensed and eyes flickering with coldness, it was logical to think that an internal conflict was happening.

Xael was not even moving one feet away from the place she was standing, she was very confident that her presence were well hidden, until a tip of dagger was now kissing the skin of her neck.

Her browse creased, questions ran like water from her head because she knew that this situation of her being taken a hold off without her knowledge is highly impossible to happen.

Before she could even speak, a voice as soothing as the summer breeze brushed her ear like devil in disguise. "Caught you."

――――――――――

《 Author's Note

Last one more chapter and this arc will close... yey!! Oh right guys, just to remind, after updating the last chapter, I'll open a new activity for this story.

And again, I'm sorry, writer's block suddenly visited me as I've encountered a freaking mixed of ideas and lost of track on what I've planned for this arc. Anyways... I'll post the last chapter by Friday which is four days from now since I know that I'll enter depressed mode on Thursday and won't be able to write things.

Or surprise to do it by Wednesday which would be in two days. Yep. I'm that bad. xD

Enjoy.

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ please vote and leave some review my beloved readers...

You could also see this story on: yashahimesama.wordpress.com