Chapter 17 : Disciple

Arc : One (1.11)

I did promise to serve the country, but I vowed to love you.

――――――――――

Charles' eyes were full of scorn as he looked at the veiled woman. He was shaking his head on how ignorant he was from the true form of the woman in front of him.

"Sir, I didn't expect that Miss Martineau has a face thicker than a stone. Not even saying a single thing to clean her dignity white." Christos, Charles' right hand on the camp, snickered. He was standing beside Charles as they observe Xael from behind.

"Don't bother with her; she's no part of our camp. Completely unnecessary." Charles felt disgusted to even talk about her. Right now, he didn't even want to put her in his eyes. As if, the only thing that is acceptable to enter it was the 'rightful things' only he knows.

Saying his piece, Charles turned around to walk inside the tent.

Being left alone, Christos could only have a sour face; he has been trying to stick to Charles as he could definitely see the bright future ahead of the man. Basically, he's grabbing himself a golden thigh*.

Not giving up, he walked towards Xael's gazebo and put on his fake face.

"Who would ever guess that a man's sufferings could actually entertain this lady." He impolitely started a conversation.

He was not even careful as he thought that he's doing this for Charles' sake. He was too pure and would only think of justice that he would never raise his hand against a woman. Well, not me.

"Since when is training a suffering? How narrow-minded." Xael innocently answered. It was the first time that she actually said something after arriving on the camp.

It was no rarity as it was actually a common rumor even from the capital. The unsociable, stoic and strict daughter of Martineau family. Only Charles didn't believe these whispers as he was bathed with affection and attention by the previous Xael M.

Well, considering the current routine of these soldiers, wasting effort on some things that are quite useless, maybe this dude is correct.

Christos was offended but he let go of the topic and didn't beat around the bush. "Why are you even staying here? Have some self awareness on how pathetic you're acting right now. It's clear that Lieutenant Eccleston is not interested on you."

Xael who was bored and could only spent her days on talking to her son or to Willow in her mind was suddenly smiling.

Hoh. When Xael M. was fawning over Charles, this Christos was actually urging her and coaxing her to do something but now that she's totally ignoring Charles, this stud was now planning on eliminating her. How futile.

"Who are you?" Xael ignored his past ramblings. Christos was stupefied but his ego turned higher.

"I'm Christos Eigenmann, Lieutenant Charles' right hand man."

He even smirked? What is he smirking for? Does he think being a hand is a great thing to do? Especially when Charles' would undoubtedly suffer from my hands in the next few weeks?

Xael was laughing in her insides. Mockery is not her thing, she just knew that things will still roll on her hands.

"And since when did a hand ever have a mouth? You're nothing but fodder easy to dispose off. You even thought that you could speak for him? Oh... even if you're Charles, why would I listen to you? Are you my grandfather? A king? A god? You're not even qualified to clean the nails of my maids."