3.

amazing cover by @TheDarkKnight17

***

A young and timid girl leads me to my quarters. I pry her name away with a lot of efforts, Charlotte. She's tall and slim with almond green eyes and ginger hair. The room is nice, bigger than my last apartment. Well, sure, I've got one or two villas in Europe but it's been years since I went there. Too many memories. Plus I never stay long in the same place so I don't need that much. The room is heavily decorated with its own bathroom at the back. Nothing, no detail makes the place personal. But the silky sheets seem inviting.

I need to get to my car to grab my bag of cloths but I have a feeling I'm not allowed to leave the room. I could go from the window, I'm currently two storeys high.

Easy peasy.

I can see the back of the house from there and the forest spreading further down. There are at least seven fighting grounds with a sandy floor scattered at the back of the mansion. I didn't notice them when we arrived. A few fighter are training right now and I spend some time observing them.

Not bad, but could be better.

Still I can see some really powerful wolves. In times of war I might have selected them for my army.

Let's see how careful they are.

Discretely, as quietly as I can, I open my window and listen to the wind. It's blowing in my direction so they can't pick up on my scent. In a swift movement I sway on the edge of the bricks and with the power of my arms hoist myself onto the roof. Once on the other side I quickly locate my car. There is no one around but I can sense the wolves in the forest. I sneak in the shadows without a noise. As soon as I am in my car I hesitate. I could just go. The road is in front of me and the time for them to react it will be too late. I caress the steering wheel and breathe in the lingering scent of Nate. That's what makes me exit the car and go back inside following the same path as before. I climb the front stairs, tightening my hold on the handle of the bag in my back. I'm about to take a leap to the second floor when I see a shadow move on the third floor and turn towards it. There, leaning against the window frame, Nate stands in all his glory. I smirk and keep going.

When the time for dinner arrives Charlotte comes back to my room and brings me to an insanely big dining hall. I took a long shower to loosen my strained muscles and changed my cloths, deciding to stay simple with jeans and a black shirt, my red sneakers the only piece of color. The room is festive and full of joy. The pups are running around, playing between the table while the adults discuss animatedly. A few watch me enter but most ignore me entirely. I take a plate and raid the buffet, salad, mashed potatoes, chicken wings, tomatoes, pasta. They even have an Asiatic section so I take a second plate to fill it with sushi, maki, miso soup, rice, nems and tempura.

What ? I have a fast metabolism.

I choose a seat in a corner with an empty table. I like it better when I can see the enemies come. I let my eyes travel around the room. I don't like packs, that many people in the same place is dangerous, they can be wiped out in seconds and be none the wiser. There are too many innocent and weak pups. If too many rogues got in, there would be a bloodbath and the fighters wouldn't be able to save everyone. Kill the weak and innocents and they give up fighting. Rogues are sneaky, they don't have the pride of the fighters of a pack, they kill everyone, without a glance back.

I'm finishing my plates when a small boy comes to my side, giving me a piece of vanilla cake and blushing furiously. My heart breaks at the sight. His beautiful chocolate eyes and his dirty blond hair stir me. He reminds me of Liam.

After the Republican French Insurrection of 1832 I found the little guy on the streets on the brink of death. He was only seven at the time and both his parents had been killed during the war. I don't know if it was his frail body dying when I was an immortal being that even hunger couldn't slow down or the piercing brown eyes daring death itself to steal his last breath but something warmed my body, new feelings, old ones long forgotten.