33.

The dining hall is packed. All the creatures circling the center table in silence, watching intently as the egg wobbles around. The pups are on the front row, their hands gripping at the wood table in anticipation. Next to me Jared is fixing the little object without a world. I'm sure it killed him to not know what's inside and I have a feeling he can't wait to see as his hands clench and unclench at his sides. I ordered him to place himself right in front of the egg earlier to be sure he would be the first thing the beast would see.

I don't want it to get attached to Cory or Gabe, no thanks.

There is a small 'toc' and the shell cracks slightly. Another and another. A small fissure draws itself on the egg and the animal inside starts to push at it. Suddenly a small red beak appears through the slit. And then an eye, and finally, after struggling, it gets out of its shell.

"What's that ?" Someone murmurs.

"That's just a bird." Another grumbles.

"So disappointing." Yet another one comments.

"That rogue couldn't find anything interesting. All that suspense for nothing." A feminine voice I don't know mocks.

They all start to leave, going back to their previous occupation, leaving only the ones who know me too well to know there's a catch. And the pups, just as exited as five seconds ago. They start to play with it and give him some food I prepared before hand in a bowl.

"Sorry it's not a dragon." I apologize bitterly.

"The last three remaining ones are currently working on the set of Game of thrones. I couldn't bring them here." Ralph explains

Jared looks at us with wide eyes as if we've gone crazy.

"Interesting." Rob whispers as he bends his long form over the table to look at it closer.

"I never saw a real one." Ben adds in awe. "Only read about them in books. Where did you find it ?" He turns to ask Ralph.

"I am afraid that will have to remain a secret my friend." The dwarf offers as an answer.

"We're not really supposed to have it." I explain.

The nestling hops to Jared which seems just as fascinated with the creature as before it hatched.

"So, is it a parrot ? Or an eagle maybe ?" He asks softly scratching under its head.

The bird doesn't have any feathers yet, only has fuzz between white and a pale pink color. Only its beak is distinctive. Suddenly the bird sneezes and catches on fire, making Jared jump in surprise and the pups scream from excitement

'That reminds me of someone.'

ONCE ! It happened once !

"Oh my god !" The beta exclaims. "Do something !" He demands.

I reach the table and grab the baby chick in the palm of my hands before it burns a hole in the table. The small flames lick my skin and heat it a little.

"It's going to get hurt." Jared worries.

"No silly." Sydney giggles. "It's a phoenix, it can't get hurt by flames."

This girl is so smart.

Jared looks at her in disbelief and then at me.

"A phoenix ?" He questions. "You got me a phoenix ?" He asks in wonder and I nod proudly.

The small animal finally succeeds to calm itself and the flames disappear showing to everyone that no harm was done, its skin is exactly the same as earlier. I decide to give it to Jared.