12.

"So..."

What am I supposed to say ? Marcus just looks at me with a big smile on his face. After Nate left I hesitated to follow him and missed my chance to flee the library. And now I'm standing in the middle of the room, looking everywhere but at him trying to occupy my hands.

'Awkward.' My wolf laughs.

I can hear the 'tic' of the seconds going by and the time stretching endlessly around us.

Who was it that said time was a human concept that has no meaning in the rest of the universe ?

Well, let me tell you time is insanely slow. Try watching a plant grow, or a drop of water fall, it takes for ages... people live and die yet, things stay the same. They make the same choices, same mistakes, try the same things, think the same way. Again and again. If the world came to an end and started all over again we'd still end up in the same spot.

"Long time no see." I try to joke but my voice is tight and full of unease.

"I'm happy to see you again." Marcus replies kindly.

"How have you been ?"

Are you trying to sound interested ?' My wolf mocks.

Then what am I supposed to do ?

'Run for the hills ?'

Or, I can kill him.

'I'm pretty sure you can't. Like you'll be cursed or something. He's the Guardian after all.'

There'll always be another one.

'I don't think that's how this works.'

So I was right, I need to be nice.

"As you can see I'm getting old."

"That's how life goes, isn't it ?"

His mischievous smile is enough of an answer implying that I am not getting old.

"You might not see it but I've got some wrinkles around my eyes here." I point at my face trying to justify myself somehow and immediately feel stupid for it.

I roll my eyes before continuing. "So, are we going to have a problem ?"

I do everything I can to not sound bitter and menacing.

"What do you mean ?" He asks perplex.

"Are you going to tell them who I am ?"

"This is not my place to say. I am the Guardian of the Library, I am here to give answers to those who seek help. But I can only answer to the questions they ask. With what knowledge the books hold. My opinion doesn't matter."

I feel a little relieved, reassured that my secrets are safe.

'For now.'

"Then can I ask for answers ?"

"Of course. The alpha said you could have access to the library. Is there something in particular ?"

"Are there books about me." I whisper almost fearing the answers myself.

He simply smiles at that but I don't feel offended, his smile is gentle.

"I'd say fifty percent of the books in this place are about you in a way or the other. You started a lot of changes in this world."

In that moment I don't know if I hallucinated or if he just winked at me playfully.

"How about why I was created ? And about the curse." I add to be more precise.