Scene 3: Ready or Not 🏃🏾‍♀️

"Say love who sent you?"

The hairs on the back of Gaia's neck stood up as her worst nightmares came true. It was nothing for a nigga to run up on women in even in broad daylight these days; it was just the times we lived in. A woman slain in the street in cold blood? It happened just as often as cops killing niggas and came as no surprise to no one but the victim. But this city? The one her father ran like it was his God given right to slang more dope than even the mob ever could, the city where bodies dropped like flies and no one batted an eyelash all at the hands on the man whose blood coursed through her veins?

Nah. It shouldn't be happening, regardless of the fact that her father wasn't in her life and she was all alone. She had always been protected. Nobody bothered the princess of Emerald city even if she was far from the throne and someone had claimed her birthright.

Last night was different, unexpected and random she was sure but this attack was calculated or else she would have seen him coming from a mile away. Who had her sperm donor pissed off? How long has she been being watched? And more importantly, did they want money or blood?

If money was the answer then her blood would be spilled either way. She had no money and her father would have to care about her first for them to use her as a hostage.

"Go ahead and do it" was her shushed reply.

She was ready, God had taken everything from her already and there was nothing of her resolve left. Her mother's body was still alive but her spirit? It was gone. It had been gone for months now and Gaia felt it time and time again as she walked into her room. It was a coldness unmatched that gave even the warmest of people a shiver to the spine.

Gaia ignored it though. She was stubborn like her father as her mother always said. The power of prayer was what her mother always preached so Gaia had picked up where she left off. Praying everyday for a miracle and for strength for the only person she knew loved her unconditionally to survive.

"Brown eyes" her attack rasped out roughly. The same electric feeling flowed through her body from last night. His voice sending signals to places Gaia herself never known. She didn't understand the reaction her body had to something so simple as his voice especially when she knew he was a killer and probably would be hers.

"I didn't tell anyone about last night." Gaia spoke in response.

Snitches don't get stitches around here, they get toe tags.

The Murder Mafia had raised her. She knew the drill by the age of three.

"Still don't explain why you're here following the man who saved your life, I thought we had an agreement. You go your way, I go mine."

"I come here every day, this is my way." Gaia snapped.

The coldness of steel pressed against her jugular with slight pressure afterwards. With closed eyes and a heavy heart she awaited her fate.

"If i wanted to kill you would've been dead the moment you stepped foot into this car. But please don't take that kindness as a weakness sweetheart"

"Now drive."

"What?!"

"I said drive!"

Following the directions the mystery man ordered to her in about forty five minutes, Gaia was told to bring the car to a stop. They'd drove away from civilization a while ago and only trees were the neighbors of the janky looking warehouse that they were in front of.

The man got out of the car first but not before making Gaia had over the keys. He then ordered her to step out and had her walk in front of him and into the warehouse.

She stepped into a dark hallway so dark she could barely see anything. The only sense that was working correctly was her hearing as she heard the man breathe behind her. Gaia bumped into a door in which the man made her open and step inside first.

The room was bright with fluorescent lighting , blinding her instantly as her eyes tried to adjust to the environment. As everything become clear, so did the even more dangerous position her life was in.

If she had to guess Gaia would say about twenty guns were aimed at her from around the room and laser with meant that a sharp shooter was would surely take her out if she made a ran for it if she miraculously dodged all the bullets from the gang of guns aimed and ready to take her head off her shoulders.

"And I say again love who sent you?" the man said in a sinister and low fashion behind her. Every receptor and nerve in her body was on fire, her mouth ran dry as she swallowed and gulped loudly.

The man from behind her, walked in front of her and grabbed her chin forcing her to look at him directly in his eyes instead of at the guns aimed at her.

"All you had to do was tell me the truth and you wouldn't be here? Scared for your life, heart beating out of your chest so strongly and loud I can feel your pulse from where I stand. Your whole pretty little life flashing before you eyes" the man's grip left Gaia's chin and trailed up to her lips. She sucked in a breath deeply looking away from his intensity. Suddenly the danger that lie ahead of her was more interesting than the power rolling off of the man. "That's not how you pictured your day when you woke up this morning, huh?"

"Pretty little thing like you see, ma you always the saddest case. Out in the world unprotected, you could be doing a million other things that's better for the world but nah, some nigga would don't care about you got you into a world of trouble and now you have no way out." the man began to circle around Gaia like a lion would do his prey. he was analyzing her every move, every glitch, every blink and every breath she took. The man was searching the tiniest bit of a tell, something that told him more than her lips ever would.

But nothing to find, Gaia wasn't some dumb girl sent to kill him, follow him or fuck and set him up. She was purely a woman whose life was turned upside down, grieving and aching for her mother to wake up.

How did a visit to see her comatose mother lead her here?

"I'll ask once again, who sent you?" his voice was as steady and calm as could be and that's what scared Gaia more than anything. Chaos and fury would never be as threatening as a calm storm brewing slowly getting stronger by the a mile.

"no one."

"Boss, company is here."  the guns were put away, the mystery man made a signal with his hand and in a flash another man was grabbing her and dragging her out of the room. In her peripheral vision, she could weakness in the grip of the gun of the new man guiding her and his attention being elsewhere instead of on her.

As she took her next step, Gaia pivoted backward and slid onto the floor between the man's legs. As he reached for her, the gun slipped onto the floor and she grabbed it. She sprinted for the nearest door because her life depended on it only to run face first into somebody.

She attempted to stumble backward but the person caught her by her elbows. Gaia struggled to get away fiercely but was stopped by a statement and voice she hadn't heard in years.

"What the hell? Gaia Alena Carter?!"

"Daddy ?"