Chapter 3: Patton

I had never seen my mark. Not because it was on my back or on my face. No, I hadn't seen it because it was on the top of my head. Or so my parents had told me. Hi, my name is Patton and this is my Draw my Li—

     Wait wrong thing.

     Yeah, my hair covered my mark. I've considered shaving my head to try and catch a glimpse, but that was just an overall bad idea. A childish one, at that. It would be, considering I was in first grade at the time.

     As a toddler and small child, I'd never worried about my mark. I was young and naive. Not a care in the world. My mom used to stroke my head and tell me that I'd find someone one day, no matter what anyone said. That never made any sense to me.

     It wasn't until my first year of school that it even registered that I couldn't see my mark. The teacher had been teaching us about what our marks meant. All the other kids were buzzing and squealing about their marks, future partners, etc.

     I couldn't understand their excitement. I went home and asked my parents. They explained it to me as best they could. Since then, I've grown less and less sure of myself. What if my parents had lied? What if I had no mark at all? What if my soulmate had already touched me and I didn't know it? I couldn't see it disappear! Does it give off any sort feeling when it happens?

     I smiled as one of my friends chatted on about the new guy. Roman, I think his name was? I've had a talk or two with him, he seemed nice. I saw him eying Virgil all day. Most people were curious when Virgil first enrolled, since he was so dark and mysterious. He made it very clear, though, that he didn't want to be noticed. Hence why he faded into the background and out of memories. I've always seen him, though.

     Shame he doesn't let me talk to him. Oh well. " Patton? You okay? You've been staring into space." My friend waved a hand in front of my face.

     I let a smile dance onto my face. " Of course I am, kiddo!" She took that as a good enough answer and continued in her little rant.

     I spaced out again. I let myself forget for a moment that I didn't have a visible mark. I thought of what my future spouse would be like. Nothing specific came to mind, maybe just the ability to crack a joke and take a joke.

     " So, you're going to the party right?"

     " Huh?"

     " I was right! You weren't listening!" She accused.

     " No, I weren't." I looked down, ashamed. She sighed.

" That's just. . . Not right." She shook her head.  " Whatever. Roman said he was throwing a party at his place this in two days."

     " That's really short notice." I laughed a little. " I'd love to! Saturday, then?" I stood up and picked up my lunch.

     " Yeah, but where are you going? I haven't given you the address yet."

     I turned on my heel and began walking away. " Don't worry! Dad always finds away."

     " I'm older than you!" She called, but I was already gone.

     I skipped down to math class. Everyone else looked deflated, and I didn't understand why until I saw who stood at the front of the room. The teacher was sitting at his desk, an ashamed expression on his face. Logan was lecturing him on what he was wrong about again.

     I took my seat and watched with interest. I've always enjoyed it when he did this. It was fun to watch him scold the teachers. It annoyed everyone else, but I found it hilarious. Was that bad?

     As Logan finished up his lesson, I snickered a bit. " You really SCHOOLED him, Logan." Logan took his seat across the room from me with a glare.

     " Be quiet, Patton. You're acting childish." I didn't know Logan all that well, but he still knew who he was referring to.

     " I'm not a child! I've completely committed my self to adultery." I smiled widely. Jokes on him. I'm an adult.

     " That's. . . Not. . . Oh my goodness." He pushed his glasses up on his face and stopped paying attention to me. Why did people keep doing that? It hurts my feelings.

I'll mend it with cookies later.

     The rest of the day turned into night before I knew it. I was sitting on my bed with my laptop and my cat onesie. So nice and warm. That onesie really is the cat's meow.

     I'll stop now.

     My phone buzzed, so I picked it up. Roman had texted me a phone number. I don't know how he got my number in the first place, but whatever. The text read:

     Hey, Patton. It's Roman. Could you text the following party information to this number? Thanks. I'm too busy to send it myself.

     I shot back a quick 'yes' and clicked on the number. It immediately popped up in my contacts under Logan's name. " Oh, he must be inviting Logan! I can totally understand that!"

     Without hesitation, I sent the party information. Logan responded inhumanly quickly. Instantly he said he would be there. It made me wonder how often I texted him. Maybe once or twice a year? I really need to step up my game.

     I pressed the call button. The same way he replied, he picked up: inhumanly fast. " Yes, Patton."

I didn't expect such a sudden response. Did the phone even ring? " Logan! You're eager."

" I don't like the sound of the phone ringing." That was totally a lie.

" Uh-huh, sure."

" Was there a point for this?" He sounded bored.

" Oh, not really." I struggled to think of a topic of conversation. " So, about that party?"

He shot me down with a speedy, " I already said I'd be there."

" Do you have anything to talk about?"

". . . What?"

I tried to think of something. " Um, I was wondering if you wanted to talk."

     " Talk? About what?"

     " That's the thin—" And then my phone died. I groaned. " Oh well."

     I fell back on my bed and put my arm over my eyes. I smiled a bit as I thought about Logan.

     " I'll see him tomorrow, I guess."

Marks // Prinxiety and Logicality \\ Soulmate AUजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें