Chapter 23 - Edit soon

"Phoebe?"

"Yes?"

"How's your arm?"

"It's only a scratch, Micah."

The Royal beta received a distress call from his warriors about the pressing matter that happened two hours ago in Nafeer Pack and to say him panicking is extravagant. Instead, he threatens to leave Lupus's pack when he heard the news of Phoebe getting injured during the attempt assassination. His warriors had to calm him down and he gave in when he heard her voice over the phone. 

"But still, you could have-"

A sigh sounded from the phone, "Micah, I'm here and am okay. I twist his neck before he could run away."

 He nodded and brushed his hair away from his forehead, "I wish I was there to protect you, love."

He could picture her smiling against the phone, "I know. But you must take care of our home as well. I don't want to see Lupus in fire by the time we get back."

He let out a chuckle, "I'm not that bad.  We manage to solve a few problems arising in our pack but overall, everything is well. Though the case of that blackmail," He rubs his forehead and leans back in his chair, "we haven't found the culprit yet."

"Then double the guards on every corner of the castle. That way, we might catch them off-guard if they had the nerve to come back. As much as I don't want them to again after we return, there is no other option for me to think of. *sigh* By the way, how's Reda?"

Micah stands up from his chair and turns to his window. His office was located in the east wing of the castle near the barracks. This way, he could easily see what was happening in the military section. Young warriors are busy training in the field and he moved his eyes to one of the trainers. A man in his thirties is giving instructions to the youngsters and demonstrating the defensive technique. The royal beta put the phone back to his ear, "Reda is distant now. Ever since his mate died, he hadn't been himself and it worried both your parents. We might need to have a talk with him soon, and hopefully, he'll hear our advice."

"Had he been... you know..."

Micah understood her meaning. A sad smile slips over his face, "Thankfully, no. Your uncle hadn't been suicidal lately and I had my man check him on a regular basis. I don't want him to end up in that direction again."

"Good. I'm happy to hear that and thank you, Micah."

"Anything for you, love."

He could picture her blushing against the phone as she clears her throat, "Is there any news we need to know?"

"Oh yes. Before I forgot, I received a call from Alpha Frost this morning," he pulls out a piece of paper stacking on his desk and skimmed through the data and information given by the Alpha of Derellium, "His patrols found two rogues on his border and now, they are residing in the hospital. It was a thirty-three-year-old woman named Merlia and her seven-year-old son named Merlin. They were malnourished and both had been treated badly by someone. The mother is traumatized while her son couldn't speak at all. They found a scar on his neck which is the reason behind his muteness. Luna Eyriel had tried her best to comfort them and surprisingly, the mother confides in her. Their story was... unpleasant to hear. But they found out the person behind their misery. You wouldn't believe who is it."

It was silent on the phone. Micah knew she was taking a deep breath before she speaks, "Tell me."

He grips the phone tighter and spat the name in disgust, "It was Alpha Dawson of Greenwald Pack."