A Test of Will

I own none of this. All of this is thanks to Chris for making an awesome story, and this is my tribute: to pick up where he left off. Hope you enjoy!
________________________________

Eragon

The elves and I were sitting in a semi circle, discussing the options laid before us. These new creatures had caused an excessive amount of problems, destroying trees and killing for sport. The most recent insult, was the attacking of Invidia and Blodhgarm.

For the moment, Invidia was sprawled in a nearby couch, resting and listening. She had spoken little, keeping to herself unless asked a direct question. She seemed to be healing nicely from her recent ambush; and yet, only time would tell. The object of our concern, however, was Blodhgarm.

The midnight pelted elf was still in a deathly trancelike state, and he would not be stirred. All of the elves magic and all our ingenuity could not heal nor stir the elf. Yaela had begun to grow concerned, irritated almost, about the revival, or lack thereof, of our friend.

"We cannot lose him, out most trusted spell caster, second in command to you Eragon. If Blodhgarm passes into the void..." her words cut off.

"If Blodhgarm passes, he would go not only as a trusted comrade, but also as any of us would want to. He died protecting Invidia and the Riders. That is a noble and honorable way to go," commented Draxin.

Yaela appeared troubled. Her typically bright character and outgoing personality having been warped into a brooding somberness. The clue that gave this all away, was her hands. Yaela's hands had been completely still throughout the meeting, not once moving from their perch in her lap. If Yaela was otherwise unaffected by Blodhgarm's illness, they would not be in the same place for an extended period of time.

I wondered about it. It was unlike Yaela to let emotions rule her. Deep calculations and logical thinking had been her specialty, and yet, that was gone. Wiped away by sadness prominent upon her features. She looked up, met my eyes, and I knew why. I had seen the look when I got ready in the morning. I knew it unfortunately well, given the time we have spent in New Vroengard.

"Oh..." my voice slipped, and I couldn't stop myself before the world slipped out of my mouth.

Squeak? Questioned the young midnight black dragon. He rolled lazily onto his back and looked expectantly at Invidia, who laughed and obliged, giving the young dragon a few rubs upon his belly. We all smiled, happy that her mood was improved and happy that the young dragon was unaffected in these dark time.

The whole Great Room shook as Saphira shifted her immense weight, flopping onto her back, mimicking Islingr.

If the hatchling gets to indulge himself, I might as well. Come, Eragon, we have not done this since I was hiding in the forest behind your farm. Her deep laugh reverberated throughout the room, affecting us all. Laughter broke the air, ringing out clear and smooth, and the birds outside the Great Hall doors sang.

Our mirth subsided, and I called the meeting to a close. The elves unfolded their long limbs, moving silently and gracefully across the long room. I caught Yaela's arm as she rose.

"Healing room, after sparring."

She nodded, her eyes cloudy, and walked off, Islingr following.

I would not press her, Kingkiller. Her judgement is clouded and her thoughts are impaired, she could become dangerous at a small insult. Glaedr boomed, disturbing my thoughts.

Why would you think that, Glaedr? I understand that she is hurting, over what I am unsure, but she also has a dragon to care for.

Hmmm, and a fine dragon he will make, Umaroth. We both understand what it's like to lose something precious to us, and I'm starting to sense that within her conscience. Aid her, Eragon, and ensure she does not go mad with whatever grief is swelling within her, Glaedr growled.