To Kindle the Flames

I own none of this. All of this is thanks to Chris for making an awesome story, and this is my tribute: to pick up where he left off. Hope you enjoy!
________________________________

Eragon

Cold. The opposite of how she should be. Her cold calculating eyes weren't staring daggers into his soul. Her sword wasn't glinting, it's teeth sinking into flesh and tearing armor. Her hair was damp, a dull black, lacking it's usual luster.

I kneel beside Firnen, his green scales exploding onto every surrounding surface, and I thought, Even near death, dragons still look fierce, fearsome, and alive.

Draxin and Invidia's moods had taken a similar turn to his. The once battle-ready elves stood a pace behind, through Saphira I saw, their eyes dropped, rivers overflowing the pale banks. The now seven month old dragons were the most confused animals. In their spirit, I saw youthful joy of discovery, that of another dragon joining. Yet in their hearts, the stone of sorrow weighed heavy, and heavier sat the loss of the Elven Queen.

Firnen looses a mournful keen, a piercing sound that caused my trios tears to increase. The other dragons added their voices as Saphira touched her snout to Arya's lifeless body. A massive green paw flailed, tearing the grass and uprooting trees. His lament turned from one of sorrow to the growl of rage, and his eyes burned in emerald fire.

Firnen, your emotions can not control you now. Calm yourself, for the younglings are nervous, and you're putting the rest at risk. Umaroth boomed.

Glaedr added, Please Firnen, listen to us. We made ourselves prisoners, and lost our riders, descending into madness. All have touched the brink, but the will to survive burns bright. Do not transcend into madness, it shall not help you now.

Their words fell on deaf ears, however, as Firnen opened his jaws and fire spewed forth. The forest groaned, a crack of woods burning and screech of falling trees.

Saphira, Glaedr roared, we must restrain him. Do your best to catch his attention, and the weight of the dragons and those present shall be enough to overcome his mental defense.

Saphira rushes forth, her challenge echoing into the night, and she launched herself over to her enraged partner. Sinking her maw around his neck, she swung her tail around his body, sweeping his hind legs out, and using her mass, she threw him over her shoulder and onto the ground, placing two massive claw tipped hands on his throat.

NOW! Umaroath thundered.

Combining his mind with Draxin and Invidia, I called upon the mental symphony of the dragons, and with their might, our single thought extended to Firnen's conscience.

His initial response was one of defense, but it was brushed aside like leaves in the fall hurricanes. Same as his grief. Before I untangled myself from Firnen's being, I felt and heard the dragons consoling him, teaching him how to overcome his anger.

I padded back to the spot where Arya lay, and planted myself beside. Recollecting memories, some good, like our last moments before my journey, the first time we spoke after she recovered from the poison that plagued her, singing and dancing together, and some not as fond, like the Aegeti Blodhron, and the potent magic that compelled me to divulge my heart.

It was because of this, that I nearly missed the sound of incoming foot fall. Shortly after, the other ten elves stood behind me. I turned, moving away from her body, and blocked the sound of the elves cries as they beheld the horror of our magic.

It wasn't until all were back in Domia arund Vandr that Firnen recovered, he and Saphira inseparable, and Arya lay on a cot in the infirmary, that the truth of things weighed on me like a mountain, and I realized how cruel the world truly is.

________________________________

Roran

"Daddy, why are we packing?" asked a child's voice.

"Because daddy has to go to work, Elijah, and that means the family needs to come as well," Katrina said.

"Where are we going?" Elijah inquired.

"I honestly think he is more Eragon's child than ours, for he asks as many questions, if not more, than Eragon does," Roran whispered to Katrina, causing her to smile painfully. He understood the meaning, it had been twelve years since Eragon had left Alagaesia, twelve years that Roran hadn't seen or heard from his cousin.

"Well daddy? Are we going with Uncle Murtagh and Aunt Nasuada?" he asked again, jumping up and down whilst spinning in circles.

"Yes, Elijah, where going with them. And to answer your question, you'll be living in Ilirea, since I've taken up your aunt's offer to be the military commander."

Elijah's mouth formed a long O, making Hope giggle and push him off the bed. "Hey E, I bet I can beat you to Thorn."

"Not a chance!" he yelled, chasing after her.

Roran had stopped packing to watch the interaction, and his heart melted. These were his children, as crazy as he, intelligent and curious as Eragon, steely and Murtagh, and beautiful as Katrina.

He felt her slender arms drape over his rounded shoulders, her warm face pressed against his. "I wonder how Eragon is doing. Hopefully he hasn't gotten into too much trouble."

Roran chuckled, his laugh as deep as Horst's now. "That, is an interesting saying. It is impossible for him to stay out of trouble, no matter how much he tries."

He felt the smile play on her lips against his cheek, "Well, let's focus on the task at hand, you'll need all the help you can get."

"I'm just glad you made me learn to read and write. Without the skills, I would be as useless as a sword without a blade."

"You know, you really would be tripping over your own feet without me Roran," Katrina said coyly, a laugh parting her thin lips as he turned and picked her up, pushing her onto the bed, and their mouths locked into a playful kiss.

Roran has no choice but to laugh, as he heard Thorn's laugh boom forth, and Murtagh yelling "Get him kids!! Keep tickling him!!"

________________________________

A/N

A hard chapter to read, so I had to lighten the mood with a good old Roran and Katrina chapter. What a cute family, am I right?

Hope you enjoyed, these next few chapter could get heavy ;)