Worry

The next day, Y/N came to school with a bruise on her jaw.

Peter freaked out instantly.

"What happened to your jaw?" He asked frantically. His friend bit her lip anxiously.

"There's a bruise, obviously." She replied. Yeah, no way!

"But how'd you get it?!" Peter demanded.

"I was lying on my back and looking at my phone and accidentally dropped it on my jaw." She replied tersely. Peter made a face at her.

"How is it, though?" Peter ran a hand through his hair.

He was worried because of his fight with Anima yesterday, and then he had hit said hero in the jaw a few times. If...

Hm. He didn't want to believe it, but...

"What's going on?" Michelle leaned on Y/N, poking her arm. Y/N swatted her away. "Well, then."

"Michelle, I have a bruise on my jaw. How do you think that makes me feel?" She said shortly.

"Hm." Michelle frowned.

"Oh god, Y/N, you okay?" Ned asked as he ran over.

"I'm fine, I'm fine. Just a bruise." She smiled slightly at his friend.

For some reason, Peter wanted to be the one she smiled reassuringly at.

As if she heard his thoughts, Y/N turned to him and granted him the smile he wished for. 

---

"If... If she's..." Peter-as-Spiderman mumbled frantically. 

"If who's what?" Anima said as she sat next to him.

Peter stole a glance at her and her jaw. There was no bruise there. There was no evidence that he'd hit her in the jaw a few times yesterday. He didn't know if he should feel worried or relieved. But he was still concerned. 

"Nothing." He managed to get out, his head spinning. No bruise, no bruise, no bruise. She wasn't hurt, she wasn't hurt, she wasn't hurt. 

Perhaps if he thought that enough, he'd force himself to believe it. He hadn't wanted to hurt her; he'd prefer not to hurt people, but if it protected others, he'd do it.

"You alright?" She asked gently.

"How... How's your jaw?" He blurted out, then mentally shouted at himself. 

Anima slid a lazy gaze over at him, clearly thinking. He'd never know what would be in her mind.

"It's fine." She smirked slightly. "There is a bruise, but I shifted so that it looks like I don't have one." 

"Well, take it easy." Peter warned her. It didn't matter if she covered it up; she still had to be careful. 

"I will, Mother." Anima teased, but he didn't respond. "Alright, alright, I'm sorry, okay? I can go if you need some alone time, since I need to go soon-"

"No!" Peter yelped. Anima raised her eyebrows. "I mean... stay. I want your company." 

He wanted someone to punch him. Maybe he'd ask Anima to punch him, since their fight wasn't over yet. But he didn't want to fight today after seeing what he'd done. Yes, reacting the way he did to the bruise was probably over the top, but Y/N and Anima had to be different people. Yes, they were different people. There was no need to be worried, no need to be concerned. 

"Just... sit here with me, please?" He wasn't even aware that he was begging her to stay. 

Anima gave him an unreadable look, but her eyes softened and she nodded. 

He could be selfish for a little bit of time, right? He could have her all to himself for a bit of time, even though he didn't really know who she was. He just wanted someone to stay with him, and he didn't want to disturb Ned, Michelle, or Y/N, and Aunt May wasn't home yet. 

He could be selfish a little longer. He could worry for a little longer. 

But when she started speaking to him, the worry started to ebb away.