Kind

After talking to Spiderman to soothe him, to make him laugh, she'd watched him hop across the rooftops to wherever he lived. She remained on the rooftop of the building they'd sat on together, watching the city. 

Her phone rang. Dang it.

She pulled it out of an inside pocket in her tailcoat and shoved the earbuds that were attached to it into her ears. She left one out.

"Y/N." Peter said. 

"Peter." She said dramatically. He laughed on the other end. 

"How're you?" He asked. He sounded less concerned, but worried all the same.

"I'm fine. Sitting in bed like always." She cringed internally. She didn't like lying to him, but which one would he believe first: that she was sitting in bed or on a roof in the city?

"Don't drop your phone on your face. Good thing it isn't a Nokia." 

"If it were one of those monstrosities, Peter, my face would be broken and I wouldn't be talking to you because my face would be mashed in." She said monotonously.

"Dang. Touché." Peter laughed slightly on the other end. She was glad he was relaxed now, especially after his reaction to her bruise earlier.

"So-" Y/N began, not knowing what to talk about now.

"Aunt May!" Peter yelped. There was muffled voices on the other end before another voice spoke through.

"Hi, Y/N." Aunt May's voice said smoothly. Y/N then put on the persona she used when talking to adults and being overly friendly. 

"Hello." She said, wanting to die instead of talk about vague things with Peter's aunt. 

"How're you?"

"I'm fine."

"Are you sure? Peter said you had a bruise on your jaw and he freaked out about it." 

"Aunt May!" Peter said indignantly from the other end. Y/N snorted slightly.

"I'm fine, really. I need to get to work. Thanks for the concern." Y/N said, wanting to end the conversation. May said bye and then Peter came through.

"Sorry, Y/N. She really likes you." Peter chuckled in embarrassment.  "But I'll leave you to work. Call or text later, okay?"

"I will." 

Peter left with a soft "bye" as she tucked the phone back into her inside pocket. She buried her head in her hands and sighed.

---

The next day, she didn't shift to hide the bruise. She didn't want to appear suspicious. 

"Y/N!" Peter bounded over, smiling slightly. That smile was one of the best things she'd ever seen. "Do you want to come over later? We could study for the test together. Aunt May said she could make us food too."

What had she ever done to deserve the kindness of this sweet boy?

Michelle elbowed Y/N with a knowing smile on her face. Now, that smile could send people running as opposed to Peter's. Peter's smile made people stay for more.

"Sure." She said, then cringed internally. She had to go on patrol first. "I have to do something after school for about an hour though, if that's fine with you." 

"Oh, it is. I need to do something too." Peter waved a hand idly. "So... an hour after school, you'll come over?"

"Yeah." 

"Got it."

Peter gave her a smile before slipping into a classroom with Ned. Michelle sidled up to Y/N, smiling suggestively. 

"Ooooooh, I see you, Y/N..." Michelle crooned. 

Y/N's face flushed, and Michelle barely dodged before Y/N aimed a punch at her.