Raphael Santiago #3

You step into the bar and look around the place. It actually seems kind of quiet for a bar, with music playing low on a stereo and only a small number of people scattered around the place. You don't know why Raphael would ask you to meet at a place like this.

 You sit down at a corner table to wait. It doesn't look like he's even here yet.

 "You came early."

 You turn around to see Raphael standing behind you.

 "Any reason why no one's heard from you lately?" you ask. "And would you care to explain why we're meeting so far away from the city? Come on, Raphael," you say as he sits down, "I've actually been worried about you."

 "It wasn't an easy thing to tell you," he says. "It still isn't. That was why I left without saying anything to anyone. I'm actually ashamed of it. Y/N, I can't go back to the city." 

 "Why not?'

 "Because I've been banished."

 "By who?" you ask.

 "Isabelle Lightwood."

 "Isabelle?" you repeat. "What right does she have to banish you?"

 "She did have a right. I did something bad, and I'm ashamed of it now. Do you remember Heidi?"

 "Yeah. What does she have to do with this?"

 "Because I made sure she became a vampire so I could experiment on her. Her sire is Simon Lewis. I thought there was a chance she could be a Daylighter like him. I was wrong about it, and I didn't get any closer to figuring out how Simon is a Daylighter."

 "So, you locked her up and did experiments on her so you could test wild theories."

 "Yes, I know how it sounds. Please, Y/N, wait to judge me till later. I asked you to come here for something else, too."

 "And what would that be?"

 "I want you to take charge of the DuMort now that...I can't come back. Keep everything in order, keep everyone in line. Make sure they all stay safe."

 "Why are you trusting me with this?" you ask him.

 "Because I think you're the perfect candidate," he answers. "Say you'll do it, please. It would make me feel more at ease about leaving."

 You nod. "All right. Fine. I'll be in charge. But what anyone who opposes me?"

 "I think you could find a way to handle anyone who stands in your way. Come on, you know you can."

 "Yeah, I guess you're right. Okay. Thank you, Raphael. Where are you gonna go?"

 He shrugs. "I don't know. I'll stay in touch, though."

 You nod again. "Okay. I, um, I guess I should get going, then. Bye."

 You get up and walk out of the bar. You feel you can't stay any longer, knowing you might not see Raphael again after this. Staying here any longer would make it too hard to say goodbye.