III. Broken Promises

The bright light peeking through the window was the first thing that struck me when I woke up early in the morning

The bright light peeking through the window was the first thing that struck me when I woke up early in the morning. Upon remembering that I had classes today, I took a deep breath. I'm feeling too lazy and worn out to get up.

Ngayon ko lang napagtanto kung ano ang ginawa ko kahapon. I badly injured my older sister, tumakas ako, malapit mabangga ng dumptruck, napadpad sa south, muntikang makagat ng ahas, nagka-utang na loob sa isang misteryosong lalaki at napagalitan nina mommy and daddy. Buti nalang hindi ako pinaluhod ngunit sinampal naman. Sanay na ako. Sanay na akong sampalin ni daddy sa tuwing nagkakamali. Kasalanan ko rin naman. 

I shouldn't have gone too far and hurt my sister like that. 

I almost fell when I stood up. Luckily, I was holding on to the bedside table. I quickly put concealer on my sore cheeks, it took me almost 15 minutes to fully hide the bruise. I'm pretty sure my classmates will ask questions if they notice this.

After I did my morning routine, I went down to the kitchen where I found my sister eating her breakfast while watching something on her phone. I decided not to eat today. I'm trying to avoid her as much as I can for now. When I noticed the bandage wrapped around her forehead, I felt really bad.

Though I wanted to apologize, I just can't bring myself to tell her.

We don't say sorry to each other kaya hindi ako sanay.

Our driver took me to Green Will University, the only private school here in our province. Even though most of the people who live here are rich, only one private school was constructed here. The university is incredibly huge, and besides, it's not over-populated in this province. 

To be honest, I don't want to go to this place. Masyadong matataas ang tingin ng mga estudyante sa kanilang sarili porket mayaman. Tinatapak-tapakan nila ang mga estudyanteng nasa pampublikong paaralan. Minamaliit din nila ang mga magsasaka at mangingisda. They almost forgot that they're alive because of them.

These rich people really think the world only revolves around money.

My grandfather used to drive me to school when I was younger. We even sing our hearts out and bang our heads while listening to old classic songs on the radio. Once, he also told me about his love story with lola Emillia.

I long for those bygone times. I wish I could simply record it on video tape and watch it whenever I want. But they said, people who are important to you are most likely to be gone.

"Nandito na po tayo ma'am, "

I didn't realize nandito na pala kami sa school. Wala akong comfort place. Mapa-bahay man o paaralan, parehong nagbibigay ng stress sakin.

"Mag-ingat po kayo ma'am Sollace! " sabi ng driver, sinuklian ko siya ng ngiti.

My eyes are glued to the floor while sauntering down the long hallway. Students are divided on what they are doing, loud chattering voices fill every corner of the building. Every time I pass by, all of their heads turn towards me match with a judgmental stare. Being part of the family Argaze is a curse sometimes.