Chapter Five

|  F E A T H E R  A N D S T O N E |

September 2nd, 1975

WHEN MCGONAGALL had mentioned Rose destroying her classroom, I had thought she was exaggerating.  Five hours of cleaning later though, I no longer could see it as an embellishment on past events.

Rose's spell had gone wrong while McGonagall was out of the classroom and when she returned, the room was so thoroughly messed up that class had to be cancelled early.  As punishment, the professor didn't just wave her wand to fix everything.  We were tasked with cleaning in Rose's words 'muggle fashion'.  Rose had to clean because she caused the mess but I was cleaning because this was kind of like my detention for missing class.  Also probably for meddling too.

"So you met the boys."

I glanced over, abandoning my washing of desks for a minute.  How her spell to turn a dove into an envelope could go so wrong that feathers shot everywhere like confetti was a mystery to me.  Not only that but the feathers were sticky with something, making it even harder to get them off of the room's surfaces.  They covered every inch of this place and McGonagall had been clear.  We couldn't leave until we had cleaned it all.

"Met them probably isn't the right word.  Barged in on them, more so."

"Lily said you would be interesting but I didn't think you would go to duel the most popular boys in school on your second day here.  Though, after you tried to suffocate the sorting hat..."

"I didn't try to suffocate it!"

"Honey, even Dumbledore looked worried you were going to murder the poor thing."

I threw a clump of feathers in her direction.  "Well maybe it shouldn't have started putting me in Slytherin!"

"Point is, people are going to be talking about you now.  You don't just march up to Sirius Black and James Potter and demand they stop what they're doing."

I swore I saw a bit of drool from her when she said their names.  "They were being idiots.  I took action."

"Next time, maybe 'take action' by flirting with them, not fighting them."

I shook my head, continuing to clean.  While Rose got heart eyes and a fuzzy head talking about them, I mostly just thought it was ridiculous how they ganged up on a poor kid from another house.  I didn't like Slytherin either, but did that mean I went around beating them?

Well, according to Rose, you tried to kill the sorting hat when it proposed that be your house.  So yes you do.

"I can see how Lily doesn't like them." 

"Lily is blind, obviously."  Rose scoffed.  "Anyone who would choose Snivellus over them-"

"Is brilliant."  Lily finished Rose's sentence from the doorway.  "McGonagall can't catch a break with you in her classroom, can she?"

Feathers were still all over the place, despite Rose and I working like dogs to get this done so we could go eat supper.  Except now it was looking like we would be lucky if we finished before tomorrow came around.