Chapter Forty One

|   O N E ' S    H A P P I N E S S  
I S  
       A N O T H E R ' S    M I S E R Y    |

August, 1978

LILY WAS radiant. Her smile shone happiness over the whole room, and although it was only her and I in it, it was still incredible. "You are absolutely gorgeous." I made sure to mention about a hundred times.

My statement wasn't without truth though. She truly did look breathtaking. Ethereal. Though somewhat a simplistic gown, with Lily in it, it couldn't look more extravagant. Sheer sleeves that had little lace details swirling different shapes and patterns covered down to her elbows. Pearls sewn into the pure white fabric of the dress dotted along the sweetheart neckline. From the A-line skirt, a train drifted down over the little stage I had Lily standing on in front of the mirror. The back of the dress was probably my favourite out of everything; pearls trailed from her shoulders down to the small of her back, ensuring the sheer lace detailed back looked as exciting as the front.

To accentuate each detail on her dress, Lily had pulled her hair up into a carefree updo. Tendrils of red hair spilled out around glittery clips, and a few escaped to frame her face. I let those ones be, since they were a perfect addition to her already stunning beauty.

Tears were in her eyes when she turned to me.  Thankfully, none of that salty liquid had tracked its way down her face, so her makeup stayed perfectly. "Did I say yet how grateful I am that you came?"

It was sweet that she wanted to thank me but the effect it had on me, on the guilt I had felt for the past collection of blurred months, was something sour. I masked any upset with a smile, though I was sure my eyes were betraying me by showing how they really felt.

"Like I would ever miss this."

You only pored over the invitation for days when you first got it before RSVPing.

"It means everything to me that you're here." Lily took my hands in hers to squeeze. "I needed someone to tell me I wasn't crazy for getting married so young. I'm hardly an adult."

And here came the bridal panic. It was time for my not so great advice to shine once again. I really hoped it would be better than the slaughterhouse comment I made to comfort her before the dance.

"Lil, you've always been so much older and wiser than your years. There's no question of you being an adult, just your doubt. Tell me, do you want to marry James?"

There was no hesitation to be found in her voice when she answered, "yes."

"Trust yourself then. And trust me, because if I thought you had any hesitation, I would pull you out of this wedding immediately. I'd even hijack the bridal carriage to ride off into the sunset with you."

"You're crazy," she laughed then pulled me into a hug.  "I love you."

"I love you too.  Now let's go get you married, yeah?  Unless you need me to steal that carriage —"

Lily shook her head and yanked me back to her when I went off to locate the non-existent bridal carriage I talked so much of. "Before we go... the best man is Sirius."

If she expected me to freeze up or show any kind of objection, she was in for disappointment. My poker face didn't slip one bit.