Chapter Forty Two

|    L O S T   G I R L   I N A L O S T
W O R L D |

August 1979

HARRY NEEDS to know his family.  That was what Lily had written to me, a call for me to see my newborn relative. Lily had called him my nephew, as we viewed each other as sisters.  I wanted to see him so badly, she beheld no knowledge of how much I wished but it wasn't a good idea.  A werewolf murderess with a week old baby? It was a disastrous concept.

But when I used the Floo Network to tell her that, my head appearing in her living room fireplace at Godric's Hollow, I almost couldn't get the words out.

There he was; the joyous baby boy himself. The object of all my innermost desires to become family again, consequences be damned. He was so beautiful. He had his mother's eyes, which I imagined he would be told often since they struck such a familiar image within someone's mind who knew her. Those green eyes shone, bright with wonder for a world he didn't yet know.

I could already see the beginning of James's hair growing on his head, the few untidy wisps of black hair going in every direction. I had never seen a happier baby, and he was only gazing up at the mobile hovering with the use of magic above his bassinet. He would be extraordinary when he grew up, I could see it now.

"Cassie!" Lily surprised me and little Harry. He began to gurgle excitedly when he heard his mother's voice and she reached into the bassinet to hold him, swaying a little bit.

"I uh..."

Get the words out. Everyone is after you; Dementors, Death Eaters, the Ministry. This isn't martyring, this is safety. Safety for Harry Potter who cannot become collateral to all of your mistakes.

"I'm so happy to see you!" Lily exclaimed after she had passed Harry onto a very tired looking James. She knelt down close to the fireplace so I wasn't straining myself looking up at her.

For the moment you are. But you won't be soon.

"I've missed you." Lily continued before I could get a word in edgewise. I waited patiently. I didn't want to have to say it so soon, didn't want to lose her like I knew I would in a moment. "Did you get my letter?"

I opened my mouth to speak but Lily got to speech faster. "Oh of course you did. You're speaking with me now. But... why wouldn't you just apparate to us? You can't exactly hold Harry through the Floo."

No I couldn't. I bit my lip and drew blood. The little opening in skin didn't release any of my nerves. Anxiety stayed firmly rooted in my chest, balling up furiously.

"Sirius is here. You should be too. Harry needs to know his family."

Exactly like the invitation had read. I winced, but it wasn't as imperceptible as I thought. "Lil, you know I can't."

She heaved a giant sigh I didn't even know her body could hold. "Because Sirius is here? You've got to be joking with me, Cassie. I get that there's some sudden animosity between you two, and I'm not pushing on it, but he's Harry's godfather, and you're practically his aunt. You can't think you're not bound to cross paths eventually."

No, I didn't think that. But I was trying my damndest to make sure I wouldn't.

"I don't doubt that we won't."