Chapter Fourteen

| I N I T I A T I O N |

November, 1975

A MONTH passed by before Lily had anything to do with me again. I waited as patiently as I could. After all, I was the one withholding information from her, not the other way around.

The least I could do was wait for her to decide whether or not she could still be family with me, with the secret that would exist between us.

In that time I spent away from Lily, I didn't hang out with Rose or Constance. Well, I didn't see Constance at all, but with Rose any conversation we had was limited to a quickly spoken 'I'm going to class' or 'I'm going to eat' or 'goodnight'. I didn't push for anything more with them, as I didn't do with Lily. They were her friends before they were mine and what monstrous person would I be if I stole that from her after refusing to tell her my secret? I didn't want to be cruel, no matter what she thought of me.

Instead I spent my days with the four boys who I had come through a strange series of events to call my friends.  At first it was a bit strange.  I hardly knew them, yet they knew one of my most intimate secrets.  With one choice they could destroy my entire world.  Somehow I didn't think they would do that. 

Not because they didn't out Remus — I knew I wasn't nearly as precious in terms of budding friendship.  There had been a relationship between them for years.  I had been shoved in for barely a month.  But I felt like I could trust them and it wasn't often that gut instinct was incorrect, if ever. 

I liked them.  They were funny and their different personalities intrigued me.  How boys who were such polar opposites had become friends was shocking. But it was equal parts wonderful.  Sirius and James were the pair who were most into the pranks they pulled.  They were reckless, constantly providing entertainment for the other students of Hogwarts, then providing amusement just for our core group only. 

Peter was shy and sweet, always following in the steps of the other boys.  But unlike what the rest of the school likely thought, he did have his own mind, his own ideas. That said, he didn't talk much, unless he was getting really excited about a prank being pulled. Him, I found, I could spend a whole afternoon not speaking and still enjoy myself.  He was a calming presence and I had long since forgiven him for pushing me towards the Whomping Willow the night I turned.

Then; Remus.  I couldn't deny that I felt a special bond with him.  We were werewolves after all and being part of the same species came with a certain degree of unity and bonding.  Besides, I found we had similar interests, common likes and dislikes. We were both hooked on the heavenly taste of chocolate, and together we ate our body weight in the delicious cocoa creation.  He liked being more in the background of the 'Sirius and James Show' as I did.  We both felt we had more success in Defence Against the Dark Arts class than we did in Potions, though he was worse at brewing the Potions while I failed more at understanding anything that came out of Slughorn's mouth.

I was working on an assignment with Remus when Sirius and James came strolling into the Ravenclaw common room. Much to the delight of Rose and the other girls of our dormitory, we had been spending a lot more time here. I hadn't wanted to cross paths with Lily.

The boys wore wide 'guess what we just did' grins. It almost made me afraid to ask but I knew they would only keep hovering over us grinning until we asked what they'd gotten away with this time.