Chapter Six

|  F O R E T E L L I N G |

September 3rd, 1975

ROSE WENT out like a light after dinner was over.  Apparently, collecting feathers to trash them took a lot more energy than expected. I was awake when she began snoring — then still up when the sun set and then when it came back up.

The clouds were painted a gorgeous motley of pinks, purples, oranges and yellows when I drew myself up from laying down staring at the ceiling to look out the window of the tower. The sun dripped golden light onto the earth below, bathing the vibrant greens of the rolling hills. Scotland was truly beautiful.

Rose let out a sharp breath, interrupting my moment of admiring nature. Her breathing evened out again — at first. I relaxed back against the pillows I had propped against the headboard and resumed looking out the window but then it happened again.

This time she began shaking and I slid off my bed quickly, hurrying over to her. I didn't imagine her acting like this was normal. Even though we had only been roommates for a few days, she usually slept like the dead. Today it was like she was possessed.

Her back arched off the bed, mouth opening in a silent scream as if the soul in her body was being sucked out ruthlessly. I hesitated to touch her; what if it did something bad to her? I had to try to snap her out of whatever was going on.

"Rose!" I called, my hands coming to grasp her shoulders with gentle urgency. The state she was in was clearly precarious, I had to treat her delicately. "Wake up!"

Please wake up.

If you die, I'm going to be suspected for murder.

I really wouldn't look good in a striped jumpsuit.

Plus I hate Dementors with all of their soul-sucking creepiness.

I kept holding onto her, expecting for her to wake up at any second and proclaim she was just having a simple coughing fit. But she didn't wake, she only kept convulsing against the mattress.

"Wake up, dammit!"  I shook a bit harder at her shoulders, biting my lip before shouting to the other girls in the dormitory to help.  My voice reverberated around our room but I couldn't be sure it had reached elsewhere, to the girls down the hall.  I couldn't leave Rose to go check — I wasn't sure if she'd drop dead in the time it took me to get there. 

Before it had been my terror of holding her because I would hurt her in the kind of nightmare state she was in.  Now I was terrified I would hurt her by letting go.  Maybe I was what she had anchored onto.

Her hands latched onto my wrists in response to my desperation for her to wake up. I let out a short scream when she touched me and then let out another inhuman noise as she sat up rigidly in her bed and yanked me towards her.

Her grip on my wrists was extremely tight, hurting like hell, and I felt her nails digging deep into my skin. The first thing that came out of her mouth was a hiss. It was low, and sounded completely unlike her.  Her dark eyes flashed a shining cerulean blue.

"Rose-"

"Under the veil of darkness, the yellow eye will seek you out."