Chapter Two

4 years ago

I glanced at myself in the rearview one last time before getting out of the car. My hands were so shaky this morning that it was nearly impossible to put on any make-up and I should've just given up. It wasn't like I was trying to impress him anyway. Luca had seen me at my very worst, and it wasn't like a little mascara was going to change that.

I didn't know what I expected when I sent that first email, but it certainly wasn't this. Maybe anger and frustration, even denial. Coldness. Bitterness. Resentment.

But what I got was completely different.

I'll be there in three days.

His response was short and sweet, but it was exactly what I needed. It was more relieving than I had expected. I wasn't alone in this anymore. Whatever we had to do to work it out, we would do it together.

Together.

Luca and I.

Me and Luca.

Whatever that looked like now.

Maybe he was having second thoughts. Maybe he was considering leaving. A baby changed everything, and maybe he realized that.

I walked into the little cafe we agreed to meet at, the bells on the door announcing my entrance. After giving my name to the hostess, she led me out onto the patio that overlooked the tiny coastal village of Assos. It was so breathtakingly beautiful here, like living in a fairytale. Maybe I could convince Luca to stay. We could find a little house up on the hill, fill it with love and laughter and babies, and send our evenings watching the sunset over the crystal blue water. Maybe we really did have a chance at building a life together.

I couldn't help but smile as I made me way outside, feeling more hopeful than I had in weeks.

The hostess pointed to a table at the end of the patio, and I started toward it. With each step, I got a heavy, sinking feeling in my chest. This didn't feel right. Something was wrong. Very, very wrong.

I stood at the side of the table, my knees almost giving out from underneath me as I came face to face with man at the table.

Antonio.

The corners of his mouth turned up into a heinous grin. "Expecting someone else?"

"Where's Luca?" I all but whispered.

"He's not coming, Charlotte. I'm all you get." He said. "But it sounds like you and I have a lot to catch up on."

I stood frozen, afraid to move, afraid to even speak. Was it Antonio all along? Did Luca even know?

"Please, sit." He gestured to the chair opposite him.

Hesitantly, I sat down, gripping the arm rest as if my life depended on it. All the air left my lungs as I stared back at him, his dark, intense eyes locked on me. He was suffocating. Every inch of the room was taken up by him and his intimidation, and he liked it that way. He liked seeing me unnerved. Uneasy. Suddenly I felt like I was a teenager, siting across from my father after missing curfew or getting a speeding ticket. My throat was tight and I was on the edge of my seat, terrified for what came next. A complete contrast to how I felt just a few seconds ago.

"Did he send you?" I asked.

"No, Luca doesn't know that I'm here. You're lucky I intercepted your little email when I did. Otherwise, we'd be in some serious shit. You risked everything we've worked for the last few months. Wasn't I clear about staying away from him?"