Chapter Twenty Nine

Luca

"Daddy, look, it's Santa!" Layla shrieked as we walked by the obscene Christmas display set up in the center of the mall. Sure enough, some poor soul dressed in a red suit and an annoying fake beard sat on a throne of presents. A line of frazzled parents and their wide-eyed children snaked around the display waiting for their coveted turn. It was nauseating.

"It sure is, angel." I grumbled, attempting to lead her away. The last thing I wanted to do was stand in that line and play along with all of this Christmas madness. It was already enough that I agreed to let Charlotte wallpaper our house with Christmas decorations and whatever god forsaken celebration she was planning.

The mall was a nightmare this time of year, and if I hadn't needed to go to the jewelry store so I could find something for Charlotte for Christmas, I would have avoided it at all costs.

The only good thing about the elaborate celebration she wanted was that she wouldn't be able to deny anything I gave her, no matter how lavish, because it was a Christmas gift. Layla was going to help me pick the perfect thing. I had to admit, though, the look on Layla's face as she looked at the madness was pretty fucking adorable. I just prayed she wouldn't ask me to see him.

"Daddy..." She looked up at me with giant puppy dog eyes and stuck her tiny bottom lip out. Holy shit, she looked like her mother. Apparently, she had inherited her pouting gene, too. "Can we go see him? Please!"

I groaned, shaking my head back and forth. "Baby, it's going to take at least an hour. Are you sure you want to wait in that line? Mommy is probably waiting for us at home and..."

"I want to see him, I want to see him!" She said, jumping up and down. This was like my worst nightmare, but there was no way in hell I could say no to this little girl. I was so screwed when it came to her. God help me in her teen years.

"Okay, we can see him." I conceded, picking her up and walking towards the line.

"Yes! You're the greatest daddy in the whole world!" She took my face in her tiny hands, kissed my cheek, and I completely melted.

We waited in line for nearly forty-five minutes, and Layla was starting to lose her patience. She whined about waiting and was close to having a complete temper tantrum. I didn't want to scold her in the middle of the mall and she wasn't taking to bribery, so I took a page out of Charlotte's playbook and reminded her Santa was watching. That shaped her right up, and I was pretty proud of myself for that parenting move.

After what seemed like an eternity, we finally reached the front of the line. Layla was losing her mind with excitement and could hardly stand still. When it was her turn, I snapped a picture of her up there with him for Charlotte to see.

"And what would you like for Christmas, Layla?" Fake Santa asked her.

"I want a puppy, and I also want my mommy and daddy to love each other." She smiled brightly.

My heart nearly stopped when I heard what she asked him for. It was beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. I couldn't wait to tell her that Charlotte and I were back together, especially after hearing this. She would be ecstatic.

Layla didn't know I heard, and she finished her conversation with Fake Santa before jumping off of his lap. She ran over to me and jumped into my arms.

"Daddy, did you take a picture so mommy can see?"

"Of course I did, baby. Did you tell him what you wanted for Christmas?" I asked, grabbing her hand as we walked away.

She smiled widely and nodded.