Chapter Forty Nine

Charlotte

"This place is amazing!" Jenni cooed, looking out over the veranda. We had been at the vineyard all afternoon and now we were watching the sun set over rows and rows of grapes. Each row was lined with different colored lights that twinkled in the darkness.

"It really is." I agreed, sipping my glass of wine. "Did you grow up here, Lily?"

Lily nodded, finishing chewing the bite of garlic bread she had just eaten. "Not here in Palermo. I lived a few towns over. My aunt lived here, though, and I came to visit her every summer. That's how I met Gabe, actually."

"Really? I don't think I have ever heard that story." I said.

Lily giggled. "Gabe had a summer job mowing my aunt's lawn. I had the biggest crush on him and would sit out by the pool anytime he came over. It took me an entire summer to notice he was coming over a few times a week and the lawn didn't actually need to be mowed that often. Turns out he had a crush on me, too."

"That is adorable." Jenni grinned, shoveling more of her salad into her mouth. "When did you guys get married?"

"About five years ago now. We've been together for twice that time before we got married." She smiled. "I've been with Gabe more years than I've been without him. It's weird to think about. It will be strange when we have the baby and it's not just the two of us anymore."

I dropped my fork and stared at her. Did she just say baby?

"What?" Jenni shrieked, catching Lily's slip too.

Lily's eyes got wide as if she realized what she had just said. "Damn it." She smiled, shaking her head. "I wasn't supposed to say anything yet. We just found out. I'm pregnant."

"Oh, my gosh!" I exclaimed, throwing my arms around her. "Lily, that is incredible. I am so happy for you guys!"

"Thank you!" She was already beaming. "Gabe was over the moon. We just didn't want to jinx anything by telling people yet, you know with my history and everything."

"But you're drinking..." Jenni said with a confused expression on her face.

Lily blushed. "It's cranberry juice. I caught the waitress after we ordered and asked her to make the switch so you guys wouldn't know, but I guess I blew that." She laughed, shrugging her shoulders.

"Lily, that is such wonderful news. You and Gabe are going to be amazing parents." I squeezed her hand.

"Well, we kind of have you to thank for that." She grinned. "Up until you brought Layla back, we didn't really think we wanted to try again after what happened last time. We just adore her and wanted one of our own. I had no idea I'd get pregnant so quickly. I'm already eight weeks."

"Girl, you are already glowing. I am so excited for you." Jenni said.

"I guess that takes out bar hopping for the night." I joked. That had never been part of our plan, anyway. We were going to finish dinner up here and head to a street fair and eventually back to the villas.

I wondered what Luca was doing tonight and hoped he was having a good time. He took everything so seriously that I was thrilled when he relaxed a little. Something about being in Italy did that for him, and his friends were taking full advantage of that. I had to admit, Marco and Angelo and Carlo were wild men, but I was glad Luca had friends like them in his life. They were so loyal and I knew they would take care of him, no matter what.

I called and talked to Layla before we left the restaurant, as she was getting ready for bed. She was acting a little clingy lately and had asked me to call her throughout the night. I knew she was having fun with Carman and my mother, but I didn't want to break my promise. She was staying the night over there so Luca and I could enjoy our impromptu bachelor/bachelorette parties.