Chapter Twenty

Charlotte

When Luca and I pulled up to the front of the Estate, two police cruisers were parked at the entrance and my heart dropped. Were they here for him? Was Luca about to get arrested right as he was getting Layla and I back?

"What's going on?" My eyes widened in panic. "Are they here to arrest you?"

"Relax, Char." Luca unclipped his seatbelt, calm as ever. "Just stay in the car, okay? I'll take care of this."

"But..." I started to protest, but Luca was hearing none of it. He got out of the car without a word and headed toward two officers who were standing by the front door.

At the sound of the car door slamming, they both turned to face him with unreadable expressions on their faces. Did he really expect me just to sit here quietly and watch this happen? 

I opened my door, climbing out hot on his heals.

"Luca Catalano?" One of the officers asked, his hand resting on the gun in his holster.

"Who's asking?" Luca clenched my jaw.

"What's going on?" I asked, coming up behind him.

"Get back in the car, Charlotte." Luca ordered, shooting me a harsh glare. 

A flash of curly blonde hair came flying out of the front door. At first, I didn't recognize her, but after a few seconds, I realized who it was. 

Jenni. Followed by Seth.

"Oh thank god! You're alive!" She threw her arms around me, hugging me so tightly I could hardly breath. "Are you okay? Did he hurt you?"

"Are you Charlotte Parker?" One of the officers asked, turning his attention to me.

"Yes..." I hesitated. "What is all this about?"

"Ma'am, we have reason to believe you and your daughter are being held here against your will. Is that true?"

"Yes, of course it's true. He's the man responsible." Jenni pointed at me frantically. "Arrest him already."

Two more officers emerged from the house, approaching Luca.

"This is ridiculous!" He bellowed, throwing his hands in the air.

It took me a minute to grasp what was going on. These officers were here because they thought Layla and I had been kidnapped and that Luca was responsible for it. And somehow Jenni was mixed up in it?

None of this made any sense.

My mom had told Jenni that Luca and I were working things out. I had made sure to ask her that the morning that Luca came for Layla and I. And although at the time it felt like kidnapping, it certainly wasn't real.

"Charlotte, tell them I didn't kidnap you." The officers came towards Luca, one of them reaching for handcuffs.

"No, stop!" I stepped in between them, suddenly finding my voice. "This is all just a really big misunderstanding. We are not being held captive here."

"Char, you don't have to lie for him anymore." Jenni protested, shooting a hideous glare at Luca.

"I'm not lying for him." I insisted, but Jenni didn't look convinced. 

"Ms. Randolph, why don't you come with me and let them answer some of our questions?" An officer took Jenni by the arm, leading her away. I nodded to Jenni, and she hesitantly walked with him, diffusing the situation a bit.

"Luca is my daughter's father. We're here so they can get to know each other." I turned back to the other officers, who were still holding the handcuffs out as if they might slap them on Luca's wrists at any second. I'd be seeing this in my nightmares for weeks.