Chapter Four

Charlotte

Luca could be quite persuasive when he wanted to be and it seemed my time away from him had worn down my resolve. I didn't stand a chance when he looked at me that way. With that seductive, determined look in his eye. I was at his mercy, especially with the guilt of what I was hiding from him clouding my vision. I could only hope he didn't hear my heart beating out of my chest. I still loved Luca more than I ever wanted to admit and it took all of ten minutes with him to realize that. I did my best to push those feelings down, but now, with him in front of me, it was harder and harder to deny.

My mother was oddly encouraging when I told her that Luca wanted to take me to dinner. It seemed her soft spot for him had only grown over the last few years and she was excited at the prospect of us reconciling. Little did she know, that was the last thing on my mind. I had no intentions of reconciling with Luca or even bringing Layla up. He had his opportunity. All I wanted was to pacify him so that the awkwardness could be over for everyone.

"Where are we going?" I asked, staring out the window. Not much had changed. Luca and I sat in the back seat while a man I didn't recognize drove us somewhere. It was dark by now, so I couldn't see much.

"It's called Postino. Best Italian food in Rhode Island. I had to call in a favor to get us a reservation on such short notice, but you're going to love it." Luca scrolled though something on his phone as he spoke, keeping his eyes down. "You do still like Italian food, right?" 

"That sounds great." I fiddled with the hem of my dress, second guessing my decision to come. Spending time with Luca was dangerous. Mostly due to the rush of emotion I felt just being in the same vicinity as him, but also because I was terrified that he would find out my secret. What would he do if he found out about Layla? Found out I'd been hiding her for so long? 

I didn't want to be afraid, but I was. For the last few years, I knew nothing of the man Luca had become. How had he changed? How did our break up affect him? Was he becoming hardened and callous like Antonio predicted? It was that unknown that was weighing so heavily on my mind. 

My stomach fluttered, the possibilities running rapid through my mind. Would he be angry? Demand to see her? Take her away from me? This was a mistake. I never should have agreed to come with him, and as we pulled up to the restaurant, I was thinking about making a run for it. But how far would I get? 

No, I couldn't run. I needed t pull myself together, get through this dinner, and then get myself and my daughter far away from here. 

Once we got to the restaurant, the driver opened the door for us, and Luca helped me out of the car. His hand found its way to the small of my back, leading me through the groups of people in the lobby. Luca's powerful presence drew attention wherever we went, and the eyes of other patrons were glued to us as a hostess led us to a secluded, reserved table on the back patio. It was clearly highly coveted and the best view in the entire restaurant. 

As we sat down, I was fidgety and uncomfortable, and desperately trying to pull myself together. The last time I sat across the table from this man, our world was about to fall apart, and I couldn't shake the ominous feeling in the air around us tonight. 

"I know you said you're not drinking, but they have a bottle here you have to try. It's called The Chop, and it's a full body red. Just like you like. Or used to."

"That sound great. Thank you." I smiled, easing just slightly. Luca's attention to detail was still impeccable, and he was doing everything he could to make me feel comfortable. It was working, until I scanned the menu and realized the bottle he was about to order was over a thousand dollars. "But I don't need anything so expensive." I quickly added.