Chapter 22: Sometimes

I wiped my eyes as the memory flashed in my head, the screams ringing in my ears causing me to cover my ears.
Ayato and Laito were either side of me, their hands clutching onto mine as my other hand wiped my eyes.
"I messed up really badly, I killed my mate and that made me realise that I had nothing anymore... because he was the one" I sniffed and breathed heavily as I tried to gain composure.
"I don't know what happened afterwards, but by the time I went back... the orphanage was gone..." I whimpered, feeling the guilt and sadness return to my mind all over again...

"What was his name?" Ayato asked, rubbing my shoulder soothingly and hoping that it would calm me down.
I took a deep breath of air and cleared my throat.
"Ruki... his name was Ruki Mukami" I answered, placing a hand on my chest and looking at the ground in sadness.
But I soon felt tension in the air, and looked up to see Ayato and Laito widening their eyes and their mouths opening slightly.

"...of all the god damn people... it had to be that bastard!?" Ayato shouted and stood up from his seat rapidly, which made it fly behind him and land on the ground with a crash.
I looked at Ayato in confusion, unsure of why he was so enraged all of a sudden. I decided to look over to yui who was also as shocked as Ayato and Laito were. Her hand was cupping her mouth as she looked at the desk in front of her.

"B-but... I don't u-understand" yui said nervously, her hands shaking uncontrollably as her mouth hung open.
Starting to get frustrated, I stood up from my seat and crossed my arms.
"Okay, what's the problem? Is it something I said?" I asked.
"It was everything you said!" What the fuck!" Ayato growled, his hands grabbing his head to pull some of his hair in frustration.
Soon, I got up and stood right in front of him, my hands either side of the desk he was opposite from.
"What's your problem Ayato?!" I yelled, grilling the sides of the desk tightly which made the wood snap and come off instantly. Laito quickly moved next to yui to grab her by the shoulders and take her across the classroom.
Ayato and I glared daggers at each other for about an entire minute before leaning back from each other.
"Here's my problem; you marked on a half-blood" Ayato spat like they were the most disgusting words in existence. I felt my eye twitch.

"Why would I meet a half-blood?! You know I don't mess with those people!" I yelled, feeling apprehensive when Ayato kept on growling.
"Ayato, he must've been human when she met him" Laito broke the silence and sighed to himself, his gaze drifting to the floor in concern.
"I don't care! He's still a half-blood scum!" The redhead snapped back at his brother who seemed to be in deep thought.

"I don't understand...!" I groaned, slumping down on a students desk as I rubbed my temples.
Laito stood up and sat down next to me, not bothering to touch me since he knew it would distress me.
"Eve, it's clear we need to talk" he said plainly, his hunter green eyes narrowing.

I looked up at the front of the class, my hands rubbing my red and puffy eyes that were soon filled with tears.
"Then talk" I snapped, not looking at anyone as I awaited my response.

"You see... I respect what you told us, but there's a bit of an issue here" Laito placed his hands on his desk and looked down at it.
"Ruki... he's not exactly dead" My brother made his voice quiet, but I heard him crystal clear.
The room went silent, not a single thing heard when i soon felt claustrophobia creep up on me. My breathing became rapid, my brain was screaming at me to refuse what Laito had said, but another part of me wanted to believe him.
"How should I believe you? Do you have proof?" I shuddered. Laito lowered his head down and looked at Ayato, nodding his head but Ayato seemed to be confused.
"The only proof is that you see him again" Laito spoke, his tone loud enough for only me and Ayato to hear.

I looked down at my hands, seeing them shake on the desk violently. The moment the clock ticked and played its tune, telling us that it was exactly 5am, I looked up and took a deep breath.

"Okay..." I spoke.