Chapter 39: Teddy

"Okay, you got this right?" Shu looked at me while Reiji had his arm linked in mine, walking me to my class like the gentleman he was.
Reiji was still very taken aback from the fact I was here, but instead of crying (which I expected him to do) he rejoiced and thanked whoever was up in the sky.
Reiji did wipe his eyes but he wasn't sad or shocked, he had a large smile plastered to his face the entire time I held his arm and it was as though the happiest thing had ever happened to him.
"I'm sure she's got it" Reiji spoke to his brother who simply rolled his eyes in response.
I stood between them and trapped myself in thoughts for a solid minute, thinking of different ways I could approach the situation rather than running away.
My classroom was in view and I could hear the loud noise of my students bickering and yelling. Reiji and Shu were luckily attending my class so they took two seats at the back, far away from one another, and preparing for my lesson.
Male and female students greeted me politely as they walked in, large smiles on their faces as their gaze met mine.
With everyone sat, I looked around the classroom and opened up the register.
"Please call out once I've read your name!" I yelled out, sitting down on my spinny chair and wheeling over to the computer.
"Shu!" - "here... I guess..." I glared at the blonde.
"Yui!" - "here!" She perked up happily.
"Ayato!" - "here!" He raised his hand as he swung on his chair, almost falling as he gripped onto the wooden desk in front of him.
"Reiji!" - "I'm here" I gave him a satisfied smile and watched as he grinned to himself at his pristine behaviour.
"Kanato?" I read out, my voice slightly trailing off as I looked around the class to see a boy with purple hair and purple eye he staring straight at me.
He held a teddy bear on his lap and stroked its head softly.
"Here..." a sullen voice left the boys mouth and his eyes dropped to look at his teddy.
I knew it.
The teddy was all I needed to know for the identification of my immature brother. All day he'd carry that thing and if you tried to get him away from it, you're asking for a death wish.
"Alright then, everyone's here, great!" I peeked up and stood up from my seat, heading to the board to write the next topic of history.
"Today, students, we'll be learning about 18th century urban legends... about vampires" I said in a spooky voice just to make it seem sarcastic.
Reiji and Shu snickered in their seats, amusement written on their faces as they listened to what I had to say.
"So can someone tell me what vampires are?" I questioned, looking around until my eyes landed on a familiar blonde.
"Yui, can you answer that?" I placed my hands on the desk and I still stood, teasing the girl until her face went red.
"U-uh... vampires are creatures who take the form of a human... they-uh, they drink human blood and they can live forever" she stuttered nervously like a little school girl- wait, nevermind.
"Very good! You've covered all the main points. So, can anybody else tell me another thing?"
Reiji's hand flew up and I pointed at him rapidly.
"Yes Mr Sakamaki?" He grinned when I picked him and he straightened his back, his hand intertwining together.
"Vampires have inhuman strength and can teleport wherever they desire" he looked very pleased with his answer and leaned back once he finished talking.
"Excellent" I grinned, sharing some kind of inside joke with all my brothers apart from Kanato who I still had to meet.
Ayato was grinning wickedly, his tongue licking his lips and his eyebrows furrowed. Shu was smirking with his arms crossed and his eyes closed.
"There's also many kinds of vampires..." a whisper came from the front row and I looked over to see the purple haired male smiling.
"Very good Mr Sakamaki, all of you will be earning merits for that" I nodded before walking back up to my desk and sitting down.

"So! I have a worksheet for all of you!" Groans filled the class and the - human - students had clearly annoyed expressions on their faces.
Yui sat in her seat, looking quite nervous. I grabbed her attention by linking my mind to hers.
(Unlike others, I couldn't link my head to any vampires but I could link my head to a humans mind if I wanted to).
'You alright, Yui?' She jumped and her pencil fell off her desk, causing her to gasp and pick it up with a pink face.
'Yes... I think so' she thought. Her eyes met mine and I could tell sometime was wrong immediately.
'Anything bothering you?' I couldn't help but ask, she almost looked relieved that I had asked.
'Yeah, I just feel a bit sick' I frowned and looked at my brothers who seemed to be listening in on the mental conversation.
I glared at them and they all sniggered as they did their own thing.
'Do you need to go to the infirmary?' I asked her and she shook her head as a reply.
'I'm fine I think' she reassured me calmly and I ended up giving in instead of making her more anxious by forcing the question on her.
'Hey, Eve, why do you care so much about that brat?" Ayato's thoughts came into my head and I rolled my eyes.
'Call her a brat one more time and I'll tear that hat of yours to shreds' this caused Shu and Reiji to grin and hold on their laughs, looking over at Ayato who seemed a bit more than displeased at my reply.
'Guess it's a girl thing' my face became red at Ayato's comeback and our brothers smiles dropped.
"Ayato, don't challenge her" Reiji leaned over to Ayato's desk and whispered to him. Ayato only grinned more and chuckled at my expression.
"What if I do?" The red head smirked and looked back at the ravenette.
I rolled my eyes and switched off from their words, sorting out all the task sheets I had for the class and stood up to hand them out.

(Timeskip)

"Eve!" I turned my head to see Reiji, Shu and Ayato all walking up to me at an inhuman speed.
"Oh hey guys!" I smiled and turned to face them, a smile on my face and a spring in my step.
"Weren't you gonna say hi to Kanato or something?!" Ayato shrieked in my face and I sighed.
"I'll let time to it's thing and I'll see him when the time is right, I'm not gonna bombard him in front of the whole class idiot!" I flicked Ayatos head which made him flinch and glare at me.
"Oh fine" he gave in and shrugged his shoulders like a child. I simply rolled my eyes and turned on my heel to walk outside of my class for break time.
"Alright you three, get out of my class already" I laughed and they all chucked and nodded.
All three of my brothers quickly scurried out of my classroom at an acceptable human speed so no one watching would suspect a thing. As they disappeared, I turned on my heel and once I did, I dropped the pencil in my hand out of shock and jumped.

"G-goodness, Mr Sakamaki don't scare me like that" I chuckled nervously and watched as the young male stared me up and down suspiciously.
"You remind me of someone" was all he said. His tone was frighteningly calm but it didn't intimidate me at all, I knew it was how he usually acted so it didn't surprise me that he was creepy.
It's Kanato for goodness sake.
"Who do I remind you of?" I asked him, walking back to my desk and sitting back down in my chair comfortably and spinning in his direction so I could face him.
The purple haired boy stared into space for a split second before turning to me and sighing.
"...my sister" he said bluntly yet quietly, almost a hushed whisper as if other people were in the room.
I nodded hesitantly, pursing my lips and tapping my nails on the wooden desk nervously. The air was thick with awkwardness and I wasn't so sure how to respond, it took some time for me to come up with something but kanato looked like he was about to say something so I held back.
"I wonder if she's in there..." he crept up closer to me and pointed a finger to poke the middle of my chest, right above my blouse.
I tensed at the coldness of his fingertips but I didn't tear my eyes off his.
"Are you in there, Eve?" He looked up at me with his big purple eyes and lowered his voice to a whisper.
I sighed, raising my hand to touch his and bring it away from me.
"Maybe she is, Kanato" a smile made its way to my face and Kanato kept staring until his eyes slowly filled up with clear tears.
His hand started to shake in mine, his mouth forming into a quiver and his eyes narrowing.

"Is that you Eve?" He choked in his own tears and flinched back when I stood up abruptly, my hand still in his and my smile still on my face.
"Yeah" I felt a familiar fuzzy feeling swirl in my stomach, the same one as all of the other times I reunited with the rest of my brothers. Kanato clutched his teddy before sitting him down on the desk and throwing his arms around me.
Kanato's arms were around my neck, clinging onto me like it was the last hug he'd ever give.
I heard his sobs in my shoulder and his body was shaking slightly against mine.
I wrapped my arms around his waist and closed my eyes, savouring the moment in case it ended too soon. Kanatos grip got tighter and tighter, he was too scared to let me go but I didn't blame him. He hadn't seen me in so long and he was a lot more close with me than any of our other brothers and I could tell he was longing for this moment.
There were no words shared, just a sweet silence as we embraced.

From outside, Ayato and Laito looked at each other and high-fived happily.
"Well done bro" they said to one another, right before turning on their heels and walking down the hall, feeling accomplished.